Nobs...

2»

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Sewinman wrote:
    You do get some Nobs out there don’t you.

I pulled up at the eastbound lights at the south of Westminster bridge. The usual assortment of bikes filter to the ASL. One nodder starts to roll out into the junction and a weasely nasal voice shouts “Lights……..oi you....oi….lights…LIGHTS!…LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS!!!!”. The shouting chap was a young guy on a road bike.

Said callow youth then turns and giggles at the rest of the group, before he sticks his tongue out and rolls his eyes, as if to say “Look at that naughty cyclist breaking the law, and check me out – self-appointed defender of the highway code…aren’t I a cool, experienced cyclist.....in the right”. I stare at him bemused. We all then set off and he makes great play of catching the nodder up and passing him within an inch at full pace shouting ‘LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTSSSSSSSS’ right in his face, before speeding off.

The nodder was wrong to run the red light, but I know who the main w@nker was in that little turn of events.

I had a similar experience riding home at 10:30 on Saturday night. Some lad shouting "dick-head!" at any cyclist who rode through the pedestrian crossing that only me and him had bothered to stop at. Now, while the RLJers may indeed have been dick-heads for not stopping (although, in their defence, there were no actual peds anywhere to be seen), this little chap getting all road-rage on their asses not only ended up looking like at least as big a dick-head, but he showed himself to be a staggering hypocrite, given that he had absolutely no lights on.

There are indeed all kinds of nobs out there on bikes. Beware!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    asquithea wrote:
    In fairness, can anyone suggest a way for a "defender of the highway code" to point out the sins of a RLJumper *without* sounding like a (k)nob?

I find that by the time you've said "Excuse me old chap, terribly sorry to bother you, but I wanted to point out..." they're well away.

I hand out cards with "Every time you jump the lights, a vengeful God kills an ickle fwuffy kitten that belongs to an orphan."*

*not true, but I might if I ever saw one
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Whilst i stop at red lights - I do not stop at pedestrian crossings where nobody is actually there - either some kid has pressed the button as he walked past or the pedestrian pressed the button but there was a gap and they crossed before the lights turned green for them. I have also been known to go left at a traffic light if there is no bus, bike or motorbike (all vehicles that will be more close to the left hand side of the lane) coming from the right. That said I always stop in every other circumstance even if there is no traffic.

I am a sinner I know but personally I think the law (esp on left turns) needs updating like in France and other countries. Given the above I am not in a position to shout at other cyclists - even if they go through dangerous red lights - they will learn eventually.