Kelly and Harmon, the new Cannon and Ball???

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Just started to notice that Mr Kelly is starting to become the funny guy in the commentary box. Finally settling in to the job. Happy days!!! :D

Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,593
    3 weeks of racing, some of which brilliant, some of which utterly tedious probably brings that out in you.

They've shown a lot of the Giro this year in terms of hours.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Yes I noticed this, Kelly made a joke on the stage with the giau, i thought it was great "Sean made a joke, he actually made a joke!" I said to my girlfriend. It is good to hear.
  • rick_chasey
    MrTapir wrote:
    Yes I noticed this, Kelly made a joke on the stage with the giau, i thought it was great "Sean made a joke, he actually made a joke!" I said to my girlfriend. It is good to hear.

Presumably you said, rather than your gf? :P
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Sean has been dropping jokes for a few years, however is he crafty and sometimes if you're not listening you'll miss them... but you are right, they've been good this Giro.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    First time watching Eurosport (proper) and I have to say I really enjoy the commentary. A huge step up from the ITV4 nonsense.

ETA

That said I'm quite fond of having a nap in front of the golf listening to Peter Aliss witter on...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:

Presumably you said, rather than your gf? :P

Yes yes, she was too busy cheering for her carrots as Nieve was about to make the front group but then he didnt.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Liked his comment that because guardini and Co are over 4 hours down that they would have to ride on monday to make up the time :D - He's also had a few digs at Frank Schleck which is always good.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Sean has been dropping jokes for a few years, however is he crafty and sometimes if you're not listening you'll miss them... but you are right, they've been good this Giro.

This.

He used to really get Duffers worked up. Duffield would be looking to head off for his tea or a leak or something, so he'd do a big intro to one of Sean exploits as a rider, with the expectation that Sean would take up the baton and talk for a few minutes.

Instead, Kelly would respond to the build-up with a simple "Yeah" or "No" and dump the whole lot in back in Duffield's lap.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    LangerDan wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

This.

He used to really get Duffers worked up. Duffield would be looking to head off for his tea or a leak or something, so he'd do a big intro to one of Sean exploits as a rider, with the expectation that Sean would take up the baton and talk for a few minutes.

Instead, Kelly would respond to the build-up with a simple "Yeah" or "No" and dump the whole lot in back in Duffield's lap.

Remember the Courcheval stage from 2006 i think when the 3 guys jumped the fence and rode up to the finish one of them had a yellow jersey on and Duffield hadnt noticed and Sean had to tell him. Then Duffield went into a rant saying they should be tossed in jail and the key thrown away. meantime you could hear Kelly absoloutley pissing himself at duffers going ballistic :D .
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Bit of a golden era for Harmon at the mo..

"I'm going to lie down"
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    One of my other favourites was Harmon and Kelly having a discussion about the then new UCI points system. Harmon was apoplectic :<paraphrasing> "and they give the same number of points for winning a one-day race like Paris-Roubaix as for a week-long race like Paris Nice!!! What would you have thought if they had applied that system when you were racing, Sean?"

"Wouldn't have worried me"

"Why"

"I'd have won them both anyway"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    LangerDan wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

This.

I used to love that. Duffers would come up with some five minute explanation of a tactic allegedly being played out on the road with the precision of a daring bank heist then put it to Sean that this was EXACTLY what was happening, wasn't it?

"I don't tink sho" would come the inveitable reply.

In Duffers latter years, Kelly earned his salary for those 4 words alone.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors

In Duffers latter years, Kelly earned his salary for those 4 words alone.

dufers peaked at the 1994 PR with his legendary [pre]alan partridge moment....
    were is the help there is no help

he carried on in that job a bit too long, should have kicked back earlier and done the studio pundit role at the tour and maybe the odd cameo in the box or sumfink.. still even thou I was glad when he packed I tend to remember the comedic bits with a degree of nostalgia
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Oh yeah

I would like to point out Harmon and Kelly are funnier than cannon and ball
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    I think Harmon/Kelly have been exceptional this Giro. Sean Kelly gave an excellent analysis as to why it would be a bad idea for Cav to go in the break yesterday.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, so Harmon reveals the secret. They bet on booze. Harmon always loses, so Kelly's half p!ssed ;).
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Sean's best moment was when some sprinter in some race was at the foot of a climb and stopped to change his shoes. Sean: "He's putting on his climbing shoes."

Cue people emailing / tweeting in asking how climbing shoes differed from normal cycling shoes.

Much hilarity was had.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    LangerDan wrote:
    One of my other favourites was Harmon and Kelly having a discussion about the then new UCI points system. Harmon was apoplectic :<paraphrasing> "and they give the same number of points for winning a one-day race like Paris-Roubaix as for a week-long race like Paris Nice!!! What would you have thought if they had applied that system when you were racing, Sean?"

"Wouldn't have worried me"

"Why"

"I'd have won them both anyway"

Quite brilliant! And you can't ague either...
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I know I've been critical of Harmon but he does do a good job really! And Sean is a star!!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    yeah, i'm really enjoying this giro and was only thinking today how lucky we are to get decent coverage and commentators on top of their game.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Kelly is certainly much more prepared to talk without being prompted these days and there is probably no English language??? pundit who is so knowledgable. I like the way he has started taking the mick when Harmon picks the entire field as outside bets for the win :lol: