Depressing commuting routes

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Just noticed my incredibly scenic cycle commute home has been covered in today's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/gall ... 4&index=13

Looks even more depressing when shown in professional photographs! Can anyone beat me with theirs? In fact, I might even post this in sh!te towns in cake stop....
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yup, that looks like the North to me. In a word, grim!

Come down to London. The streets are paved with gold and Perrier flows through the rivers.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Yep, move south :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I was in Coventry yesterday, meeting in Prologis Park (just around the corner from the Ricoh Stadium). After my meeting I went in the nearest 'high streety looking' direction on a sandwich and diesel hunt.

The Shell petrol station had big signs on all the pumps demanding payment in cash up front before fuelling and the teller was behind thick lexan and would make no exceptions even for a company credit card.

The corner shop where I had hoped to locate a sandwich had mostly empty shelves with the odd thing here and there - and the owner having a shouting match with the lady behind the till for allowing someone to 'put something on the book'.

Most depressing town ever.

I ate and fuelled on the motorway.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I should point out that the Ricoh is practically in Bedworth/Nuneaton. I turned down a job in that area (right under the M6/A444 junction) because I realised that if I moved there from leafy Warwick town centre I'd probably kill myself!

I live in a nice bit of Coventry. :wink:

It's nice because it's barely in Coventry! :lol: Still, a couple of minutes on the bike and I'm out in the countryside, and my commute is about as pleasant and scenic as it gets round here (I ride past two different castles!). It's green and pretty, but just with a few bumps, rather than the mountains that some of our northern cousins get.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    msmancunia wrote:
    Just noticed my incredibly scenic cycle commute home has been covered in today's Guardian:

Looks even more depressing when shown in professional photographs! Can anyone beat me with theirs? In fact, I might even post this in sh!te towns in cake stop....
    Add to that the charming greeting you got from one of the 'locals' and it gets worse.
    I saw a girl yesterday cycling in a bikini top and hot pants. My second thought was that your friend from the other day would have had an abolute fit if he'd seen her.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Add to that the charming greeting you got from one of the 'locals' and it gets worse.
    I saw a girl yesterday cycling in a bikini top and hot pants. My second thought was that your friend from the other day would have had an abolute fit if he'd seen her.
    And your first thought?...

• veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

... was obvious. I'm more concerned about how quickly the second thought popped up. Maybe I'm mellowing with age.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

... was obvious. I'm more concerned about how quickly the second thought popped up. Maybe I'm mellowing with age.
    I thought it would have "popped up" with your first thought!

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Come down to London. The streets are paved with gold and Perrier flows through the rivers.

Aye. It's grim up north right enough.

looking on the bright side, we don't have the olympics to deal with :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Trouble is, gold's really soft. No wonder you've got so many potholes, you should use asphalt or concrete like the rest of us!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

So true. For instance I have to ride past this monstrosity every morning and evening. Bl00dy eyesore I tell you.

Roseberry_topping_north_side.jpg

Especially on those dark winter evenings

roseberry-topping-282788220.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

I thought it would have "popped up" with your first thought!

I think I'm also mellowing/becoming a "woman of a certain age". My first thought on reading that was "with no sports bra?!"
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:
    I think I'm also mellowing/becoming a "woman of a certain age". My first thought on reading that was "with no sports bra?!"
    Had I been some sort of dirty old man I may have noticed that she was quite slim and muscular so bounce wasn't the issue it could have been.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    she was quite slim and muscular so bounce wasn't the issue it could have been.

Assuming she didn't have muscles in her boobs :shock: . If she was slim and well endowed with little evidence of sag or bounce my money's on them not being real :shock:
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

Assuming she didn't have muscles in her boobs :shock: . If she was slim and well endowed with little evidence of sag or bounce my money's on them not being real :shock:
    What I meant by slim and muscular was not particularly well endowed or curvy, but still very pleasant. Obviously only if I was the sort of chap to notice such a thing.
    It certainly brightened my commute. Perhaps MSM could request some male eye candy to brighten her commute.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

What I meant by slim and muscular was not particularly well endowed or curvy, but still very pleasant. Obviously only if I was the sort of chap to notice such a thing.
    It certainly brightened my commute. Perhaps MSM could request some male eye candy to brighten her commute.

Bushy Park does seem to have more than it's fair share of eye candy at the moment! may I also point out, I got paid today to chat to a attractive lady for a hour or so, well someone had to do it!
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Funny that The Guardian blames it on the effects of the recession.

That route has always been depressing, nothing to do with the recession.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

So true. For instance I have to ride past this monstrosity every morning and evening. Bl00dy eyesore I tell you.

Roseberry topping if I'm not mistaken.
  • Twostage wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

You are not mistaken, mind you there is a pretty good clue in the image URLs :wink: . The second view shows it basking in Odin's Glow
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Twostage wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

You are not mistaken, mind you there is a pretty good clue in the image URLs :wink: . The second view shows it basking in Odin's Glow
    Didn't need the URL - I'm from the area :)