Lejog - roads to avoid or roads not to be missed!!!

mykaloon
mykaloon Posts: 86
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
Three of us have opted to tackle Lands End to John o' Groats in July this year. Our accommodation is already pre-booked having plotted a very rough route. What I need to do now is sit down and plot the exact route we are to take from each stopover.

Below is a list of our planned route and I would be glad to hear any recommendations of roads not to miss on any part of the route or likewise any that we should avoid like the plague!

Lands End to Okehampton
Okehampton to Bristol
Bristol to Clun
Clun to Warrington
Warrington to Kendal
Kendal to Moffat
Moffat to Dumbarton
Dumbarton to Fort William
Fort William to Inverness
Inverness toTongue
Tongue to John o’ Groats

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Between Inverness and Tongue I would get off the A9 just aften Evanton and head over the hill on the B7196, it's a more pleasant road, if hillier, but the views as you approach the Dornoch firth and the descent will be worth it. The A9 once you get north of the Black Isle is not horribly busy but still nice to get a way from it.

Meanredspider could give you more local knowledge about the Inverness to Black Isle section, it's his daily commute.

I have heard that the A82 along Loch Lomond is horrific for traffic (fast and close), although I've never cycled it.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • campbellrae1
    campbellrae1 Posts: 182
    As thecrofter mentioned, avoid the A82 like the plague. It's a horrible/tight/fast road and would be really unpleasant to ride on. Same goes for the A9.

The ride from Tongue along the north coast is a really nice ride, did it last summer and if you get the weather it will be a fantastic ride!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I don't think you can write off all of the A82 and A9, I rode the A82 from Crianlarich northwards and found that part of it fine (came via Callander and the A84/85). The A9 north of Dornoch is great as well, not too busy and nice views over the North Sea, although I see the OP is going up to Tongue. The most memorable road for me was going through Cheddar Gorge, a nice climb and well worth a visit.

I didn't come across any roads I'd avoid in particular although I was glad when I got off the A30 - did the first 50 miles of my LEJoG on it before 11am on a Sunday and wouldn't want to do it at a busier time. The B7076 next to the A74(M) wasn't that enjoyable with the constant roar of the traffic from the motorway but it's still a rideable road.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    the old a9/a99 is really good in parts, virtually no traffic. the cycleroute along the top of the moor towards Dalwhinnie is rough is places. there is a section of really good tarmac but it's covered in large gravel. The route to Inverness only uses a short section of the dual carriageway.

the old a30 up from launceton to okehampton is supposed to be a good route, we didn't do it though.

our jogle route: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/654721?fb_ ... ode=manual
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    thegibdog wrote:
    I don't think you can write off all of the A82 and A9, I rode the A82 from Crianlarich northwards and found that part of it fine (came via Callander and the A84/85). The A9 north of Dornoch is great as well, not too busy and nice views over the North Sea, although I see the OP is going up to Tongue. The most memorable road for me was going through Cheddar Gorge, a nice climb and well worth a visit.

I didn't come across any roads I'd avoid in particular although I was glad when I got off the A30 - did the first 50 miles of my LEJoG on it before 11am on a Sunday and wouldn't want to do it at a busier time. The B7076 next to the A74(M) wasn't that enjoyable with the constant roar of the traffic from the motorway but it's still a rideable road.
    Totally agree with your comments on the A82 and A9, they're fine once you get away from civilisation.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    I did it the other way last year and the A82 from Glencoe, across the Rannoch moor and down to Tyndrum was pretty amazing. an excellent climb up and then long sweeping descents back down. Might not be quite so good in the other direction.

I'd avoid the A82 along Loch Lommond though. Was a nightmare for us and had my handlebar clipped twice by cars trying to squeeze past far to closely. It's so narrow and twisty that drivers get impatient and make stupid decisions whne trying to overtake.

Land's End to Oakhampton is a pretty long stretch considering the nature of the roads down there. Incredibly hilly if you're off the A30 main road, which you would definitely want to be.
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 72
    The problem part of the A82 is between Tarbet and Crianlarich so to avoid that either take the A83 from Tarbet to Inverary, then the A85 and re-join the A82 at Tyndrum, or avoid Loch Lomond altogether and take the Gourock ferry to Dunoon and head for Inverary that way. Both a bit longer but far nicer IMHO and a lot quieter.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    We used the cycle path alongside Loch Lomond on our LEJOG the week before last. It is OK mostly with no big problem areas. The rest of the A82 to Glen Coe as fine and a great ride over Rannoch Moor. The big issue for us was the stretch of A82 from Fort Bill to Inverness. It is horrendous with very dangerous overtaking. Some of our back markers missed a pretty bad incident by less than a minute where a tourist heading south was run off the road by a woman in a car following a line of overtakers. She appeared to have a choice; head on collision with a bus or take out the cyclist. The rest is history. Only hope the poor guy is not. I haven't heard any update on him but he was air lifted to hospital. The section from Fort Augustus to Inverness is the worst. You can avoid it by taking General Wades military road but is goes up some awesome hills.

Even if you only do it once, you should ride Rannoch Moor. On a good day it is brilliant. On a bad day, make sure you are properly equipped.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks