Tyers & tubes ???

bwtmc
bwtmc Posts: 31
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi i have recently got myself a second hand 2005 Specialized P.2, but i need some new tyres and tubes, i want some XC tyres... i think, what advice can you guys offer? i don't want to spend a fortune either, not until i need some good tyres.

If you need to know anything more just ask :)

Thanks

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Schwalbe Nobby Nics or Racing Ralphs seem to be very good all rounders, and Im using Continental Tubes in mine, Cant tell you how they ride yet tho as havent had the pleasure but im sure people will agree
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    what is the main trail surface you want them for? significantly changes tyre choice.
  • bwtmc
    Well mud, roads and abit of loose..... i kbow thats more than one surface type but thats what they will be used for.... does this give you guys more room to offer advice?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah, if it had been mostly hardpacked trail centre surface the answer would be entirely different. Anyway for that kind of terrain most people would agree a minion up front and high roller out back.
  • bwtmc
    Humm i was worred you might say something like that, are there no slightly cheeper options?

What do they roll like on the road? As i do tend to bike to the locations im having a "play" alot of witch is on the road or on. Bike paths.

One last question, if there is no other way than maxis where is the cheepist place for them?
  • MonkFunk
    MonkFunk Posts: 91
    Take a look at Panaracer Fire XC. I've found them to be a great allrounder and great VFM at £40 for a pair delivered at Merlin Cycles. Also come with a free pair of tubes too.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/t ... tubes.html
  • bwtmc
    Cheers monkfunk, that is more what i was hoping to spend, but if i need to spend more that tough, how do they roll on the road?
  • MonkFunk
    MonkFunk Posts: 91
    bwtmc wrote:
    Cheers monkfunk, that is more what i was hoping to spend, but if i need to spend more that tough, how do they roll on the road?

Obviously they're not road slicks but IMO they roll pretty well for MTB tyres. They're light at 590g too which helps.