Changing Tires

jason555
jason555 Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have a 2011 Cube Acid which has Schwalbe Smart Sam 26 X 2.25 tires.

I use the bike for commuting as well as recreation but seem to be getting a lot of punctures. I keep the tires pumped to the max (55psi).

Am thinking of changing the tires to Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB, to reduce punctures, but can only find the Marathon Plus in a 26 X 2.0 size.

Will the 26 X 2.0 tires fit on my rims OK ?

Jas

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, but I'd go skinnier still. And still yes to about 1.2 if stock rim.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't go too thin. I have 1.95 on a commuter/pub/MTB and they are much more comfortable than very skinny tyres and roll well.
    Roadies use super skinny tyres for vague aero reasons, not rolling resistance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    This is true.

I have a hack commuter with 1.95s on and it rolls fine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rolling resistance is more to do with tyre pressure than width, many wider tyres can't take higher pressures, 1.5s will usually take 80psi and roll quite well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I concurr, I use 2.2" Halo twinrails for commuting, and they roll fantastically.
  • Chunkers1980
    But do you think the bigger the tyre the more mass it has, and if it has a lot of puncture protection that just makes it worse? THe smaller the tyre overall the more concentrated the protection will be, making it more effective at stopping puctures?

Other things to possibly consider are if a tyre is wider it has a bigger footing, so would have more chance of hitting a piece of glass/stone/thorn ect..
  • YeehaaMcgee
    But do you think the bigger the tyre the more mass it has
    Yes, a bigger tyre has more mass. Good start to a post...
    and if it has a lot of puncture protection that just makes it worse? THe smaller the tyre overall the more concentrated the protection will be, making it more effective at stopping puctures?

Other things to possibly consider are if a tyre is wider it has a bigger footing, so would have more chance of hitting a piece of glass/stone/thorn ect..
    Oh dear. I don't really know what to say.
  • Chunkers1980
    Say something. Bigger doesnt mean more mass.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yes, if you've got 2 tyres that are identical except one is a 1.2" and one is 2.0" then the 2.0" will be heavier.

If you add puncture protection then you add more weight, so if weight is a consideration and the difference is signifcant then go narrower.

OP: What kind of punctures are you getting? If there something inside the tyre that keeps causing punctures?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Say something. Bigger doesnt mean more mass.
    Tyre construction doesn't vary drastically, so yes, a bigger tyre will have more mass.
    I'm going to end this conversation now, because I don't think the world is ready for the imminent release of expletives. Especially on such a sunny day.
  • Chunkers1980
    OK then I'll agree to end after I've said this.

It does when you talk about slicks, which is what we're talking about here. Some are taller, some are fatter and taller, some are not so tall and not so wide. To get the heavy puncture protection in, if a tyre is smaller then this is more condensed the smaller the tyre for given puncture protection, bigger tyre for same protection would require more mass, as well as the extra just for the carcus size and protection of that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Heatstroke maybe?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    cooldad wrote:
    Heatstroke maybe?
    :lol: