Hardtail to Full Suspension choice

Jasonkruys
Jasonkruys Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Good evening! Long time lurker, first time poster! Of course, I need advice :oops:

I have currently got a Boardman Pro HT, 2008 or 9 model which I use a minimum of a couple of times a week, and looking to get back into it a lot more. I am not too interested in full-on downhill, and mostly ride in the New Forest, on Singletrack, Fireroads and XC - so a pretty good mix! Seems I do more going up that going down, on balance!

What I like about my Boardman HT is:

1. It's weight
2. (Probably down to the above) it's quick acceleration
3. Progress when going uphill
4. Generally how nimble it feels in more technical sections

What I don't like about my Boardman is:

1. Hard on my bum!
2. Feels 'inadequate' or fragile and a bit flexy when going downhill at speed.
3. I just want a new shiny bike!

Now I'm thinking a XC targeted full-sus will rectify dislikes 1-3, but will it have a significant impact on my likes? Is it possible to have a balanced, all round good full suspension? I know the budget will be proportionally higher for the balanced full-sus route.

I have boiled it down to 4 options:

Option 1: (£2500) Go the full suspension route and buy a Specialized 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO - looked at a few reviews, and it seems like a good option considering what I want.

Option 2: (£2500) Go the full suspension route and buy a Canyon Nerve XC 9.0 SL - see above for EVO, I love the look of it and the pedigree. Not so sure about buying without seeing in the flesh.

Option 3: (Cycle2work) Get a 2012 Boardman HT Pro - Better the devil I know, and by the look of it things are stiffened up a fair bit on the wheels, forks, and frame with a more 'stable' feel on the downhills compared to the early models.

Option 4: Open it up to the bikeradar forums for discussion, for recommendations on the 3 options above, or indeed better buys for my money.

I'm not sure anything I can get on the bike scheme (ie Boardman HT) is a big enough upgrade to warrant it, and have set myself a top limit of £2500 to get something worthy of an upgrade and a bit special (for me, anyway!)

Would welcome any thoughts at all!

Comments

• sensi10
    sensi10 Posts: 68
    edited May 2012
    Hi, I made the move from a Rockhopper to a Giant trance x3 last year.
    The Giant was lovely to ride going from a ht to a full suspension was a big differece as you can really push the bike on rougher terrain but after the novelty wore off I found myself looking at hard tails again cos I missed the buzz you get from a lighter firmer ride at the back .Also unless you can afford a real light carbon for cross country I dont think the benefit from having rear suspension out ways weight penalty and if you were to spend a couple of grand on a hard tail wow you could have a cracking bike !!!
    I ended up selling it and building a rockhopper with all new parts forks wheels the lot to excatly the spec I wanted and I more happy with the HT.
    But then again horses for courses / my advise would not to rush into anything .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is why I keep going back to my Zaskar - the weight for me, and the riding I do (mainly XC, but some harder stuff) just rewards me more than the Spesh or any FS bike I have ridden. I'd have to spend a hell ofa lot to beat the way it rides!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    same here,, choice of 2 bouncers and a hardtail.. i always reach for the hardtail ,, i just prefare the raw feel of the hardtail... and the hardtail is easier to maintain no shocks to get serviced pivots/ bearing to ware out, and cleaning a harrdtail is lot less hassle to..
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If your not into jumps and drops I would be looking at a giant Anthem, goes up hill like stink and pretty decent on the downs and one hell of a quick bike.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I prefer an FS most of the time unless it's for a short local blast, call me lazy but I just like being able to sit down and keep a decent pace going on trails from time to time. For the OP - I'd look at a short travel FS like the Anthem (maybe even a 29er) unless you really do want to start ragging it downhill in which case something around 140mm would be a better bet (and would be a more noticeable difference to your HT).
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Grab yourself a wagon wheeler (29er) on C2W. Honestly, I thought it was a stupid idea til I tried one. Its everything its cracked up to be IMHO. My next bike will definitely be a 29er.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Jasonkruys
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for all the replies, given me real food for thought.

My Boardman isn't terrible, and I could always keep it. It is for that reason, I am struggling to justify a new purchase that is a Hardtail. I did have a blast on a 29er, and whilst I can see the attraction, not sure it is for me, or indeed a justifiable upgrade from what I have got.

So assuming I keep the Boardman for a bit of light fun every now and then, and steam blindly forward into a FS purchase...

I ride mostly singletrack, a bit of Cross country, Trails - want to do more and a bit of travelling around, as said before - not going to be looking to do any specific downhilling. On the flip side, I don't want to be struck with fear and trepidation every time I come across a fast descent on a trail, nor do I want to quickly 'outgrow' the bike in a year or two - generally I keep my bikes for 4 yrs+

So back to my two original FS choices:

1. Specialized 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO

2. Canyon Nerve XC 9.0 SL

And a new bonus choice, the Canyon Nerve AM 9.0 X - beginning to wonder if I would be better off with the extra versatility, as I am not planning to be doing any racing any time soon, and don't live near any mountains that I intend ascending!

Further Thoughts?

edited to clarify
  • supersonic
    Downhilling is clearing 10ft drops and 40ft doubles - are you sure that is the riding you want if you decide to do a downhill run?
  • Jasonkruys
    supersonic wrote:
    Downhilling is clearing 10ft drops and 40ft doubles - are you sure that is the riding you want if you decide to do a downhill run?

Nope, sorry, poor wording! Will not be doing any downhill runs. What I meant was, any kind of descents on the trails - some of the steeper and longer ones are not funny on the Boardman!
  • @ jasonkryus- I was abit nervious at first buying a canyon xc nerve 7 without looking at it first... Well what can i say!?!? best buy EVER. give their UK hotline a ring and they are more than willing to chat to you. Guy's name is Cullen Ward. Hope that helps!
  • supersonic
    The Giant Anthems are a good choice - not as full bore xc as they might look.

The Stumpy FSR EVO is a lot different to the Nerve, more travel, slacker. A nice bike though!