Whyte 901 info

tomvet
tomvet Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi I am looking to replace my trusty old Kona blast with another hardtail, budget up to £1200 max. I ride a lot of natural stuff around Wyre, Clent, Cotswolds but also go on trips further afield to peak district and Wales as well as a few trail centres thrown in. I am looking for a trail bike 120-140mm travel which is reasonably slack and capable of taking on a few drops (<4/5ft) and jumps but not really looking for full on hardcore hardtail.

The Whyte 901 seems to tick a lot of these boxes http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_pag ... W-1-013-12, have also looked at the Saracen zen x but think it might be a bit to heavy for my all day jaunts http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/zen-x.

Does anyone have any experiences with eith of these? I have also looked at various homebuild options but as I am not that mechanical and don't have a full bike tool kit have decided against this.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not sure how the Whyte is so light - not much heavier than my Zaskar, and mine has way lighter parts! I'd guess it weighs another kilo on top of that given the fairly hefty fork, budget wheels and low end drivetrain.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WMB weighed it with no pedals at 11.81kg, so with decent pedals are looking at 12.2 minimum.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd consider Genesis Core myself; seems like a great all round package - they do a similar steel bike too. Whyte does make nice frames though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    WMB weighed it with no pedals at 11.81kg, so with decent pedals are looking at 12.2 minimum.
    For a claimed weight of 18.4KG, that's not too bad, compared to some quoted figures.
    Mind you...
    tomvet wrote:
    I am looking for a trail bike 120-140mm travel which is reasonably slack and capable of taking on a few drops (<4/5ft)
    If he's only looking for a bke to handle dropoffs of around 9 and a half inches or less, then he could go really lightweight :lol:
  • tomvet
    Haha sorry for the ambiguity I meant less than 4 or 5 foot at most. Well I have taken the plunge, I went to my LBS and managed to negotiate £115 of discount on the Whyte and bought some shimano M530 pedals. Not had a chanve to get out on it yet but looking forward to it.

Just weighed the bike and it comes in at 12.6kg all in, which I am happy enough with like I said I wanted something moderately tough but not hardcore terratory and its 2kg lighter than my current beast.
  • baxboy
    baxboy Posts: 19
    I've had my 2012 whyte 901 for 6 months and love it, enjoy!.
  • RideWhyte
    RideWhyte Posts: 3
    I just bought a 901 from my LBS a couple of weeks back. Both fast on the single track and nimble on the more technical stuff. With the Rockshox Recon locked out its good a climbing too. I'm still getting used tot he SRAM shifters (always had shimano previously) but I much prefer the 2 x 10 setup to the 3 x 9 on my old bike.
  • tomvet
    Just been out for a ride from Kidderminster on a bit on singletrack up to Ribbesford downhill track for a few runs then home. Coming from my last bike this is a joy to ride up hills. I am glad I dropped a frame size as well because this feels so much more agile, quick to get up to speed out of corners. The fork is a dream compared to my previous dart, I fluffed up on small jump and braced as the fork ploughed into the up slope of the landing but the bump never came, it just soaked it up.

Chuffed