WIP Cove Stiffee FR

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited January 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I should have had it built this weekend but i got sent the wrong forks, but here's what i got so far :D

p4pb8167449.jpg

p4pb8167450.jpg

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Should be nice that, like the stiffee. Is it baby blue or very light green?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    DodgeT wrote:

I love how cove name their bikes :lol: taken out of context, as they mostly are, its hilarious banter!
  • DodgeT
    Thing is, what came first, the stiffee or the handjob?? :)
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    DodgeT wrote:
    That questions a Shocker.
    Lovely bike, wanted one for years, but never got around to riding one.
  • welshkev
    DodgeT wrote:

it's light blue, pixie blue i think they call it.

i know when i told the gf the new bike was called a stiffee she said "so you'll be riding your stiffee around all day then? that just sounds wrong" :lol:
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    One of the best bikes i've ever owned. Do yourself a favour and don't run more than 130mm travel on it though or it'll be horrible
  • welshkev
    Majski wrote:
    One of the best bikes i've ever owned. Do yourself a favour and don't run more than 130mm travel on it though or it'll be horrible

really? they say anything up to 150mm :? i've ordered some 150mm sektors, but i'm going to run it with my 140mm pikes until the sektors arrive
  • welshkev
    it's starting to come together, the forks are just put through at the minute as there's no headset but you get the idea.

and yes, i know my wheels need a wash :lol:

p4pb8173857.jpg
  • welshkev
    finished:

p4pb8201781.jpg

I need to get a new saddle, probably a white charge spoon, also change the grips and possibly buy some slightly wider bars.

spec is as follows:

2008 cove stiffee fr
    RS Sektor RL
    Superstar XC 430 rims on superleggia hubs
    SLX 10 speed Drivechain - shifters, both mechs and chainset
    Avid elixr 5 brakes
    Funn 30mm seatpost
    Specialized saddle (for the minute)
    Raceface stem
    PRO Koryak bars (for the minute)
    I'm trying out Nobby Nics at the minute but may go back to my Conti Verticals
  • DodgeT
    Looking good ! What does she ride like?
  • welshkev
    i only took it for a short ride last night because i needed the headset looking at at didn't want to push it too hard. but on first impressions, really well. it didn't feel like i was riding a hardtail - if that makes sense :lol: really smooth and flowing :D

i'll take it on some familiar trails later or tomorrow to test it against what i'm used to and report back :D
  • DodgeT
    welshkev wrote:
    it didn't feel like i was riding a hardtail - if that makes sense :lol: really smooth and flowing :D

Funny you should say that as I have the same thoughts on the c456. Just show's that if you like the look of something, you have to disregard a lot of reviews of kit and just try it for yourself, as both yours and mine are quite commonly reported as being very harsh rides.
  • welshkev
    i took it for my first proper ride this morning and i'm well impressed. it's without doubt one of the best bikes i've ever had. it absolutely flies up hill and it just wants you to go faster on the downs, i was flying over stuff that i was getting rattled all over the place on my 100mm hardtail.

bottom line is that i love it, what a great investment 8)
  • Nice to see something other than a cotic! (i do love the cotics tho)
    Chuffed for you that it rides so nicely!

You going to put any decals on it or keep it simple?
  • welshkev
    i'm un-decided about decals at the moment, i think i'm going to leave them off so it's in stealth mode :lol:

i've bought a white madison flux saddle now and it looks mint on the bike, just some wider bars now and it's job done 8)
  • welshkev
    p4pb8217315.jpg

p4pb8217317.jpg
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    DodgeT wrote:

surely you get a stiffee while thinking about getting a handjob :?

nice bike though 8)
  • That white seat makes a lot of difference! Silly question but is that front tyre on the wrong way?
  • welshkev
    That white seat makes a lot of difference! Silly question but is that front tyre on the wrong way?

it could very well be, i chucked it on quick before the ride as i'd taken it off as i was going to change the hub (long story) i can't be arsed to go up the shed and check though, but i'll deffo look before my next ride :lol:
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    How wide are the bars on there mate? I have some truvativ ones going spare -I had to swap 'em out as I couldn't get my reveb remote mounted on them due to their beefiness. They're 700mm jobbies, so dunno if that's any use to you. Looks mint though!
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Matt-r8
    That's an awesome looking bike. Jealous.
  • welshkev
    clamps81 wrote:
    How wide are the bars on there mate? I have some truvativ ones going spare -I had to swap 'em out as I couldn't get my reveb remote mounted on them due to their beefiness. They're 700mm jobbies, so dunno if that's any use to you. Looks mint though!

they're 685mm on there at the minute matt, how much you want for yours?
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    That white seat makes a lot of difference! Silly question but is that front tyre on the wrong way?

it could very well be, i chucked it on quick before the ride as i'd taken it off as i was going to change the hub (long story) i can't be arsed to go up the shed and check though, but i'll deffo look before my next ride :lol:

nope tyre is on the right way, does look strange in that pic though :D
  • Matt-r8
    Will be putting my remedy back to standard and posting it up for £2k.
    It's not had a great deal of use, as I won't ride it in the wet anymore as takes hours to clean properly with all the pivot points. If it rains, I ride a rigid, 10 minutes to clean :)
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Very nice mate always wanted a stiffee but never got round to buyin one...yet;-)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Nice bike Kev, how are you finding the saddle?, I had one and it felt a bit harsh on long rides.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • welshkev
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Nice bike Kev, how are you finding the saddle?, I had one and it felt a bit harsh on long rides.

i haven't done any really long rides yet, the furthest i've done is 18km. i've found it fine, i haven't noticed any bad chaffing yet :lol:
  • welshkev
    guys, should i put the decals on? i'm un-decided but a few people have said it'll look better :?
  • Yup, decal gets my vote!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I'd decal it mate, breaks the frame up, and gives it that little extra something. If you don't like them you can always take them off.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp