pedals/chain/cassette turn but wheel doesnt

frosty99
frosty99 Posts: 115
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys, was riding out today and 10miles from home I notice clunky noises from the back wheel when freewheeling, then a few minutes later stopped at a junction, went to start pedalling.....pedals turned, chain turned the cassette but the wheels didnt turn.

Had to hitch lift back into town.

Any ideas what this is? Got the bike booked in for a service on Monday anyway so my LBS will fix it but need to know what sort of financial hit to expect?

thanks
Frosty
EDIT: I also notice that the cassette now spins both ways (clockwise and anticlockwise), whereas its only meant to spin anticlockwise

Comments

• Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    Sounds like the freehub has decided to go for early retirement, the shop will sort that out frrehubs generally aren't that expensive.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As per the above - your freehub has gone kaput! What wheels do you have??

I'd call the bike shop tomorrow and order a freehub in - they may well not keep them in stock
  • frosty99
    They are Carrera own brand, from my Carrera TDF,

CIMG4230.JPG

Will the shop need any more info in order to get a correct freehub?
  • Wirral_paul
    No idea what the hubs are so not sure if its a standard Shimano type freehub. Worth speaking to them i guess - as a freehub will generally be around £20 or so (plus labour)

Given the wheels you have are probably not especially good on the Carrera, it may be worth considering a pair of wheels to be honest. Something like Shimano R500 can be had for not a huge amount more than the freehub could end up costing if the shop charges for fitting, and would likely be a step up in quality. These look at bargain at present....

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/shimano-wheels-factory-road-tri-Shimano-R500-Tiagra-Clincher-Wheels-Pair/SHIMWHFR200
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    By "shop" do you actually mean Halfords? I agree with Wirral_Paul, hub could be a standard Shimano made by the millions and youres is the million to one dud in the QC check. Also agree it might be better to upgrade the wheelset. I think £80 for a set of R500 are about. Changing the free hub isn't that hard to do yourself actually, just a bit greasy in the hands.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Wirral_paul
    Or there's the newer version (Shimano R501) for an extra £8 @£69 per pair. No idea what the difference is mind

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/R501-Clincher-Wheels-Pair/SHIMWHFR202?utm_campaign=Googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=Googlebase
  • frosty99
    cheers for the replies and suggestions!!!

The shop is just a LBS in nottingham, not a halfords or evans etc.

Those wheels are alot cheaper than I was expecting! I've just finished uni and don't start full time work until August so money is fairly short until then. The Carrera is really heavy but once its up to speed it goes alright, was hoping to get a better bike on cycle2work when I start so not sure if its worth the extra outlay of upgrading the wheels, just need the bike to see me through the summer really!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Your freehub should just need a clean, not replacement. I've had the same on a Shimano fh on Mavic wheels; complete loss of forward motion.

When you separate it all out there's nothing in there apart from two pawls and a retaining clip, and in my case a bit too much gunked-up grease that needed removing. A quick clean & regrease with lighter grease and it was better than new - the v loud freewheel sound stopped, which was nice.

Clearly you need tools to do this yourself - chain whip, the right socket to release the cassette retaining nut and spanners to remove the axle so not a kitchen table job with an old knife. Entirely doable though and shouldn't cost much.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's a Shimano freehub, once you've removed it from the hub all you can do service-wise is carefully prise out the seal and drizzle some oil in there.

If it's seized solid, best just to replace it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    keef66 wrote:
    If it's a Shimano freehub, once you've removed it from the hub all you can do service-wise is carefully prise out the seal and drizzle some oil in there.

If it's seized solid, best just to replace it.
    My Shimano fh came apart to reveal its inner delights. Ultegra, if that matters.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well if mine starts playing up I'll have a go at dismembering it then!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    Your freehub should just need a clean, not replacement. I've had the same on a Shimano fh on Mavic wheels; complete loss of forward motion.

When you separate it all out there's nothing in there apart from two pawls and a retaining clip, and in my case a bit too much gunked-up grease that needed removing. A quick clean & regrease with lighter grease and it was better than new - the v loud freewheel sound stopped, which was nice.

However, is it just me that finds it hard to believe there is any gunked up grease in there? The whole thing looks virtually brand new.

OP's either never ridden a wet day or is very, very fastidious in bike cleaning.

Unless it's an old picture........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I suspect its an old picutre as that cassette is far to clean, even if only ridden in the dry there would still be some road dirt.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If the bike is as new as it looks then get back to Halfords for a replacement wheel.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Also get them to adjust that pad on your rear brake, it looks like its too high in that picuture.
  • frosty99
    Cheers CiB, don't have the tools to do it myself, booked in at the LBS tomorrow so will see what they say, hopefully it is just a clean.

The pic isnt actually my bike, just googled same model for a closeup of the wheel as it's obviously a stock one from carrera, quite heavy but I hope that just makes it good training for when I can afford something better!!