Which wheels for under £300? XT, Sun ringle or xt/717's?

jedocherty
jedocherty Posts: 6
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my wheels on stumpjumper. It's all cross country that i do and nothing to silly. I don't want to spend more than £300 on thw pair and they need to be QR front and back!

I think i've whittled it down to 3.

Namely Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert £209 from Chain reaction
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=63316

or the XT M785 wheelset from Wiggle for about £250
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... elset.html

or i've priced a paif of XT hubs with mavic 717 rims and DT comp spokes for about £220

Anyone have an experience with any of the above or any suggestions for others i should look at.

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• baser
    baser Posts: 127
    My suggestion would be

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=497

I have had a similar set for over a year now and they have been fantastic!!
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Or buy my xt/717s and save nearly £200......... :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd say XT 717s personally - well proven. In the end though they all look good wheels...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    you got any weights for the wheel sets? 717 are a relatively strong rim. If its just XC riding you might be able to get away with a lighter less stronger rim. Also if you fancy going tubeless at some point then the sun ringle ones make that an easy conversion. They use the same technology as the Stans rims.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Theres beeen a few user reviews of the Sun Ringles on the Singetrack world forum.Pretty good rims but some reports of premature bearing wear.Both the new Factory XT wheels and Sun Ringles can be run tubeless.The XC 717 rim will require a Stans conversion kit.

The handbuilt XT /717 combo will be eassiest to source spares for and if my set is anything to go but are pretty bombproof,as long as you are prepared to adjust the cup and cone bearings and regrease them every so often.

As for weights IIRC the XT factory set and Sunn Ringles are circa 1700g,the XT/717 set will depend very much on which XT hub is used.Could be anywhere from around 1800g to 1950g if they use the the older 6 bolt M756 hubs.Splined are lighter but of course then you are limited to hevaier Shimano rotors.

I recently was considering these 3 and the Superstar wheelset.In the end I was a bit lucky and managed to buy some brand new Roval Controls via ebay for £160,but if not I was leaning towards the Superstar set with Crest rims.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I'd be tempted with a set of hope hoops if you're budgeting £300.