First 50 miler!

Mike39496
Mike39496 Posts: 414
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Finally did it! I stopped after 34 for a picnic with the girlfriend (who drove up) then hammered out the last 16 miles home. Next time I plan to do a slightly less hilly route on a slightly cooler day but just glad I finally got the distance covered! Absolutely exhausted now though.

Mike

p.s. This is my route http://app.strava.com/rides/9239591

Comments

• kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    congratulations Mike. The first 50 is always a great feeling. 60 miles is of course 100k, the next marker and then the imperial century, double metric century at 120 miles,, etc.

One extra point. I think Strava is showing your start and stop points. There is a setting in Strava which hides the first and last 500m of your ride for safety. I suspect if I am right that I can narrow your house down to within 2-3.

Chris
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Well done, I'm hoping to build up to my first 50 miler this summer. A friend at work is trying to get me to do the Durham Big Ride in September but I am a little apprehensive as there is some big climbs and it's not really one of my strengths.

Chris, thanks for pointing that out. I've just started using Strava this week. I'll have a look at the settings now.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    One extra point. I think Strava is showing your start and stop points. There is a setting in Strava which hides the first and last 500m of your ride for safety. I suspect if I am right that I can narrow your house down to within 2-3.
    Chris
    Didn't realise this myself, good tip! Thanks!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Mike39496
    congratulations Mike. The first 50 is always a great feeling. 60 miles is of course 100k, the next marker and then the imperial century, double metric century at 120 miles,, etc.

Chris

I think my next aim is a 75 miler then I will gradually bring that up to the 100 mile mark (I can't imagine sitting in the saddle for 6 hours or so at this point in time!)

Also cheers for pointing that out, just checked and i'm already hiding the 500ft so the start stop you can see aren't actually where I set off from.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Yes, Thanks for pointing that out on Strava. Just checked mine and it pretty much took you to my back garden. :shock:

Sorted now, thanks again.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    I find that the problem on long rides is that you just get into the groove and grind out the miles. I did 120 mile yesterday and had to force myself to look at the countryside and 'enjoy' the ride rather than just do the miles.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    well done mate, is always a good milestone and makes you realise the hard work put in and also to set yourself further goals to reach.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

Good stuff. Picked a nice day to do it.
  • Mike39496
    Good stuff. Picked a nice day to do it.

Indeed, I have the tan lines to show for it!
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    New to the forum and to road cycling which I took up at the end of last year, have been building up by trying to do 10 - 15 mile every day and finally did 50 mile yesterday.

Great feeling but was rather tired at the end and did suffer from cramp last night.
  • Fursty Ferret
    Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
    Took my mate out on a 50 miler today. It was his first ride on a road bike ever, and I picked a route with its fair share of hills (in my defence I'd not done it myself beforehand, so I didn't do it on purpose) and the poor bloke was suffering early on from both the saddle and his brand new shoes but he ground out the miles, head down, until it was done, even though he was in real pain for the last 10. I thought he showed great spirit and he admitted afterward that he had loved the experience. But my God it was warm out there, particularly when we were shielded from the breeze. And thanks to the friendly couple who let us refill our water bottles from their standpipe. The last 20 miles would have been a bit unpleasant otherwise
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    FF - me thinks I would be finding myself different friends if I was him :-)

50 miles for the first ever road bike ride - and in 28 deg heat 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    Impressive bagging the first 50 miler including the C&F :shock:
  • Mike39496
    TKF wrote:
    Impressive bagging the first 50 miler including the C&F :shock:

I actually quite enjoyed going up. Heading towards Leek from Buxton pretty much killed me though!
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    Congrats I'm hoping to do my first 50 in the next few weeks. I did 35 last year on a heavy Carerra road bike but now that I have a better and lighter Specialized Sirrus with drop bars I can't see 50 being too much of an issue.
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    nice one
  • Fursty Ferret
    Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
    smidsy wrote:
    FF - me thinks I would be finding myself different friends if I was him :-)

50 miles for the first ever road bike ride - and in 28 deg heat 8)

Mate, I felt genuinely guilty after a while. it was obvious that he was struggling a bit and he'd been flat on his back with a virus the whole of last week. But I gave him the option at the 20 mile mark to take a shorter route home and he gamely agreed to carry on. 2 mins later we came round a corner and he was confronted by a massive hill and he nearly fainted. But credit to him, he ploughed on! I don't know how I'd have fared if one of you ninja's had dragged me round a your usual 120 mile loop - I don;t think 'd have shown the same fortitute. I think I;d have done my usual thing, which is to curl into a ball and start crying out for my mum.