Help Please! Disc Brake Advice

GR33NIE
GR33NIE Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ello :)

I'm relatively new here and recently bought a bike again after being away from mountain biking for approx 10yrs. Basically I'm after some disc brake advice. My Kona Stuff (2006) model is running a set of cable discs, they are 'ok' but without a doubt I could do with a new set of brakes all round. I'm confident I could set them up myself but never done it before so a bit lost when it comes to which parts really :( Questions:

- Presumably it's best to go with hydraulic over cable discs?
- Will only certain discs fit depending on the hubs I'm running?
- Could someone recommend a middle of the road set, Avids?

Thanks in advance just really need some tips on what to check on mine so I don't order the wrong bits :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    are the brake levers seperate to the gear shifters?

if not you will need to buget for new shiters as well as brakes if going Hydros.

just about any brake will fit.

nothing wrong with Avids but I would look at Formula.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bdtibgem
    bdtibgem Posts: 4
    Personally I'm a huge fan of the new Shimano brakes with the short levers. For 'middle of the road' -ish, if the new SLX are anything like the XTs then they have to be worth a look. Had Hope in the past as well but they're more on the expensive side.
  • GR33NIE
    nicklouse wrote:
    are the brake levers seperate to the gear shifters?

if not you will need to buget for new shifters as well as brakes if going Hydros.

just about any brake will fit.

nothing wrong with Avids but I would look at Formula.

Good point best check on the shifters, so any brake will basically fit don't need to worry about any sizing? Guess it's relatively universal fit wise? I just thought you needed to check the hubs or something, guess I could be wrong :)
  • GR33NIE
    bdtibgem wrote:
    Personally I'm a huge fan of the new Shimano brakes with the short levers. For 'middle of the road' -ish, if the new SLX are anything like the XTs then they have to be worth a look. Had Hope in the past as well but they're more on the expensive side.

Cheers will checkout the Shimano's, ideally I am after something middle of the road no need to spend a fortune at the moment :)

Best place to buy? Chain Reaction maybe?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Best place to buy is from the cheapest place pref in the UK.

How much do you want to spend and I'm sure someone will find you the best deal.

Let us know which brakes you intend to buy and someone will let you know what fitments you need. Check your shifters though - I think you've got combined units currently so will need shifters too.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    There are 2 standards on the hubs, either c-lock or 6 bolt. 6 bolt is the most common standard but most rotors will work with most calipers. I've got avid g3 rotors and shimano xt brakes.

Other standards are post mount and IS for connecting the caliper to the frame/forks. Forks are usually post mount and frames are usually IS you usually need to have an adaptor between the mount and the caliper so you don't really need to worry about these, just get the right adaptor.

Bars are all the same diameter at the grip end so the levers should always fit.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava