Bike service intervals

andy_cotts
andy_cotts Posts: 7
edited June 2012 in The workshop
Hi everyone,

Was just wondering what time scales people go by when it comes to servicing their bikes...

I do a 5 mile commute daily and im not sure when i should be considering getting one done.

Andy
MTB - Cube analog Disc (2012)

Commuter - Carrera Subway 2 (2010)

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Do it your self!

if the bike is starting to squeak, not changing gear like it did

its time for a tune up!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • andy_cotts
    andy_cotts Posts: 7
    yeah i dont mind having a bash at the usual bits and bobs...

was hoping for a bit more insight into what timescales people go by for the big services, if any!
    MTB - Cube analog Disc (2012)

Commuter - Carrera Subway 2 (2010)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    For me, cables get done once a year.

Everything else I just have a quick butcher's at while I'm oiling the chain; anything that needs doing gets done on the spot (unless I need parts or don't have time, in which case I make a note and do it the next week).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's not like a car, there is no need for a 'big service' or anyhting regular.

If the chain needs lube, lube it.

If the brake pads need changing, change them.

If the cables need changing...well, you get the idea.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    One thing to change before it's obvious that it needs doing is the chain. Leave it until it becomes a problem, and you'll also have to change the cassette and possibly chainrings.
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    I do, I guess, about 90% of servicing myself, but I do like to get a 'proper' mechanic to take a look once in a while. So once every couple of years or so I'll take one or other bike in for a service. The last time I did a few weeks ago, the mechanic at John's Bikes in Bath (I don't work for them but think they deserve the credit) did a really nice job sorting out my mish-mash of nuts and washers on my rear axle so it now looks really tidy and got my headset to track nicely. The 3-speed hub (which was the main reason for the service) runs nicely now as well.

Some bikes need a bit of fettling of one sort or another almost every ride, but others can go for months with nothing much more than a spray of TF2 on the chain and some air in the tyres every few weeks.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Agree about the chain. Buy a chain wear checker (they're cheap) and replace the chain when it's 75% worn. Your chainrings and cassette will thank you for it.

Timescales for when various things will need doing varies massively depending on the components you have on your bike, riding conditions, how often/thoroughly you clean the bike etc.
  • desweller
    Godders1 wrote:
    Agree about the chain. Buy a chain wear checker (they're cheap) and replace the chain when it's 75% worn. Your chainrings and cassette will thank you for it.

Timescales for when various things will need doing varies massively depending on the components you have on your bike, riding conditions, how often/thoroughly you clean the bike etc.

You don't need a chain checker...just use a 6" rule. The chain is nominally 1/2" pitch; think about changing your chain once you start measuring elongation of 1/16" or more over 12". You should be able to get away without changing your cassette between 1/16" and 1/8" elongation, but over 1/8" you'll probably need a new cassette too.

I'm not convinced by the chain checkers anyway...there's a lot of play in the rollers and that could fool you into unnecessarily replacing your chain IMO.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    You're right of course but I'm allergic to numbers so the £5 checker tool works for me. :lol:
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    Can i ask how you check the chain for wear? All those numbers don't mean anything to me without knowing where to measure. My bike is new at the moment but be handy to know for future.

As for servicing, i will do most basic things myself. Im going to take the bike in to the shop i bought it after 6 months but thats only because they gave me a half price voucher for a full service.

Other than that it might go in once a year. For the sake of £30 and having everything inspected/tightened/adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing it just gives me peace of mind.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Dan_Giant wrote:
    Can i ask how you check the chain for wear? All those numbers don't mean anything to me without knowing where to measure.

Sheldon Brown will tell you all you need to know Clicky

and also the BikeRadar Link
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:

Everything else I just have a quick butcher's at while I'm oiling the chain; anything that needs doing gets done on the spot (unless I need parts or don't have time, in which case I make a note and do it the next week).

The front brake on my Dawes still has its original 22 year old 10,000 mile plus cable on it. It's fine. Replace them when they need it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • desweller
    Rolf F wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

The front brake on my Dawes still has its original 22 year old 10,000 mile plus cable on it. It's fine. Replace them when they need it!

Having had a brake cable fail during a descent (and the fact that I can't see them in the shifter or under the bar tape very well) has led me to adopt a preventative maintenance approach in that area. It's only a few quid.

Round here gear cables (on the road bike at least) don't seem to last me much more than a year anyway (lots of mud) so I just do them at the same time. The 8-speed shifting on the touring bike is much more robust.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}