Help I feel sick have i done enough!!!!

littlejane
littlejane Posts: 15
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi
I have posted a couple of posts on here for help with my training, which has been really useful so thankyou. I just need to know whether I have done enough?? Next Friday I am cycling from paris arc de triomphe to oxford blenheim palce in three days averaging 100 miles a day. I was one of two ladies but the other lady has just dropped out and I now feel sick, I know I am not as strong or fast as any guys and am really worried about doing this. I do a 25 mile curcuit and have upped to 50 miles. At the weekends I have been doing 75 miles. My average speed the further I go slows down to 14/15mph and at the weekend I am trying to do 100 miles. I really feel out of my depth now as the only women rider. I have never done a sportif and this will be my first group ride. Have I done enough?????

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Only time will tell if you have done enough, but good luck! Don't be put off by the woman part, some of the best cyclists I know in Austria are women. Enjoy it no matter what, and go at a pace that suits you!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Only time will tell if you have done enough, but good luck! Don't be put off by the woman part, some of the best cyclists I know in Austria are women. Enjoy it no matter what, and go at a pace that suits you!
    +1

If you've been doing 75 miles, you can do 100. Pacing is the key - you've got all day, use it!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Remember to eat and drink very regularly and you can do it, if it is warm then make sure you drink 750ml per hour and eat a bar or something similar every hour at the minimum.

Good Luck.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Eat and drink regularly and pace yourself and I'm sure you can do it, Jane. You can already ride 75 miles and can manage an average speed of 14 to 15 mph so I reckon you've got plenty of fitness to do 100 miles.

The biggest challenge is doing 100 miles, three days on the trot. Saddle comfort will be a big factor, so make sure you use chamois cream and that you and your shorts are scrupulously clean.

Probably the best advice is to keep spinning an easy gear. The harder you push on the pedals, the quicker you'll use up your reserves of energy. Don't be tempted to push yourself into the red zone by trying to keep up with faster riders.

And good luck!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Easy peasy. You'll wonder why you were worrying after 80 ;).
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If you can do 75 miles - especially if that's solo - then 100 miles in a day in a group will be fine. An average 15mph will be good too! Just eat and drink - and rest when you're off the bike and you'll do great. I know it's easy to say don't panic about it, but once you get going, each day will feel easier than one of your weekend jaunts.
  • littlejane
    Wow thanks guys for all the good words of advice and encouragement ....much needed. Only got my bike and have been cycling since feb so chuffed been able to do 75 miles. Hopefully Rik I will have done it and i will be back on to say easy peasy lol. Good advice mercia man re the spinning and not pushing to hard, will do that. Will probably be focusing on that chilled glass of bubbly at the finish line at bleinham palace lol x
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    We have had a few new riders join our club recently, most of which have never ridden 50 miles and had averages of less than 15mph, a few were ladies as well. All of them have managed very well in a group ride and have commented how easy it was to do the mileage at a faster speed than their average. I think you will find the same thing on your ride. Just make sure you bury yourself in the bunch to gain maximum benefit of drafting. As others have said, eat and drink well, even if you don't feel hungry. As it's a stage ride then getting enough good quality food and rest at the end of the day will be very important so avoid late nights.

Oh and the girl thing, don't even think of it, having got spanked at last nights TimeTrial by my female riding friend I refuse to accept the 'weak female' excuse any more!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    wear really tight shorts - theres no way the fellas will over take you, hehe

Group riding uses far less energy than lone cycling and the adrenalin on the day is worth about 25 miles alone - you'll probably find yourself in groups with similar worries - men fear the 100 too you know- and the time will fly by.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Good advice above, it maybe best to hide in the middle - back end of the group to start and get a nice tow until you find your feet and see how the pace is. As you get closer to the front use roundabouts and junctions to (accidentally) slip back a few places too - it'll be a piece of cake. Good luck!

@markos1963 - wholeheartedly agree with the not so "weak female" mularkey :lol:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    Good luck with the ride. I hope it goes well. I was nervous before I did my ride to Paris last year. I am sure you will do ok. The women in our party did as well if not better than then men
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    You've had enough good advice so i'll just say- Go girl go. :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    It's the psychology You need to tame. As said, if you can do 75 you can do 100. The first day will feel like 75 as your in a group. So no prob there.

Second day will be the hardest as your tired from the first and maybe a bit sore as the day goes on. Dig in and you'll be fine. Use the others to draught behind. You'll do it. Just keep the finish line and that glass of champers in mind tomorrow! Have a warm relaxing bath, plenty of fluids, the usual stuff. Think about how far you've come over the last 2 days. Nothing will stop you now.

Last day you'll be on British soil and you KNOW it's the last day so you'll make it.

Enjoy it.
    Peter
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Most of my advice has been said by others but I'll add that make sure you eat a decent amount of carbs and some protein (preferably whey protein which can you can just get from drinking milk) as soon as possible after the ride (ideally within 30 mins) in order to help your carb stocks recover for the next day, and drink plenty of water after you've finished riding as well.
  • Hector10
    Hector10 Posts: 18
    Good Luck Jane, are you riding for Charity?
  • littlejane
    Hi
    Thankyou so much for all the advice it is much appreciated and so nice to have people in the know. I am boring all of my non cycling girlfriends talking about my speed, how many miles I have done etc.. etc.. so I thought I would share my fab news to say I did 103 ... yes and the 3 is important miles on sunday which took me 6 hours. YEAH!! Only two days to go have stopped training now and am resting and enjoying some carbs .. ooo this is the best bit lol. Yes hector am riding for charity for oxfam.
    Will be back on to say did it and thanks again
    Paris here we come x x x
  • Sicario
    Sicario Posts: 25
    Well done you!

Best of luck. You can do it. The guys & girls above are right in what they're saying :)
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Well done. And it sounds like you've done enough training and you'll be fine.
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    Good luck Little Jane.

We leave London at 8am on Saturday so we may even pass you at some point. Plan is to make Paris by Tuesday lunchtime to get the Eurostar home. You sound in much better shame than some of the lads making the trip with us, so you'll be fine :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Eat before you're hungry
    Drink before you're thirsty
    Riding in a group is much easier both physically and mentally
    Use chamois cream

You'll love it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    How did you get on Jane?

Well L2P was an experience. 350 miles in 3.5 days. Was nervous as hell before we left, wondering whether the training I'd done was enough but I need not have worried.

The toughest day was the first, especially with the climb at Sandgate on the coast and then Dover Hill and then having to get the legs spinning again after sitting on the ferry for an hour. The 2 and a bit days in France were an absolute blast. A fair bit of climbing, some brilliant descents with tail winds meaning we were flying along at over 25mph without breaking into a sweat.

Loved every minute of the trip and cant wait for the next challenge now :)