Handlebar Width

Tilediver
Tilediver Posts: 13
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
HI Folks,

I have just bought a Cannondale Super 6 road bike a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone knew what the width of the standard bars are. They feel too narrow for me and I want to go and order a new wider set but would need the size so I can order a replacement set.

Cheers

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Standard sizes are 40cm, 42cm or 44cm in width. If you measure the distance from the centre of one bar plug to the other then you will have your size. Be aware when ordering your new ones though, some manufacturers quote the size from outer edge to outer edge of the handlebars, you can add on about 1cm per side for this. In other words if you measure 42cm centre to centre then try bars that are 44cm centre to centre, if you buy bars that are 44cm edge to edge then they will be more or less the same width as your current bars.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Tilediver
    Tilediver Posts: 13
    Excellent info, cheers Crescent!! I also forgot to ask about diameter are all bars the same? how do I find out what mine's are without a set of Vernier Calipers?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Take the bike into the LBS and compare it to the ones they have ?

And they should have sizes written on them near the stem anyway ?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Some bars splay out at the drops the are narrower at the hoods than other styles.
    3TTT have a good selection of styles with complete dimensions published.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Are you sure yours are the 'standard' bars? Why not try measuring them?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ..and measure your width from shoulder to shoulder to get the right size bars for you, they should match.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont forget the drop of the bars too - you can get deep or shallow - and different shapes too. Its a minefield !
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    And get the right diameter at the centre, or you'll need a new clamp...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Any LBS worth their salt should be able to measure your shoulders and thus recommend the correct width, it is the only true way to determine the correct size bars for you in order to breath properly and be comfortable.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    team47b wrote:
    ..and measure your width from shoulder to shoulder to get the right size bars for you, they should match.
    When you say shoulder to shoulder...
    Is that the outside of each shoulder, so the total width of the top of your body?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • wiganwarriors
    wiganwarriors Posts: 132
    Hi gents. When I had my bike fit the handlebar width believe it or not is governed by your hip width and not shoulder measurement according to Adrian Timmis.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    bails87 wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    When you say shoulder to shoulder...
    Is that the outside of each shoulder, so the total width of the top of your body?

Measuring your shoulders is a good starting point in working out what fits, but everyone has their own views, we are all different, somebody once said that if you get three people in a room and ask about bar widths and you will come out with four opinions.

...but to answer your question, if the distance between the bony protrusions on top of your shoulder blades is 42 cm, that’s what the handlebar width 'should' be.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mog812
    mog812 Posts: 66
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I have a similar dilema at the moment. I'm considering 3T Ergonova bars, but they're tapered. ie, a 44cm bar is measured at the drops, but it's 42cm at the hoods.

Is anyone using these bars, does it make much of a difference ?

Cheers.......... M
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Hi gents. When I had my bike fit the handlebar width believe it or not is governed by your hip width and not shoulder measurement according to Adrian Timmis.

:lol: on what basis?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    P_Tucker wrote:

:lol: on what basis?

+1. Maybe he recommends buying shoes based on the length of your arm too :lol::lol:

Logic would dictate bar width based on shoulder measurement to me!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    mog812 wrote:

He's got his helmet on backwards :?:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    mog812 wrote:

He's got his helmet on backwards :?:

The adjuster always goes at the back. Looks right as it is to me. 8)