Setpost clamp

jsync
jsync Posts: 120
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the seatpost clamp on my rockhopper as it has seen better days. It is 34.9mm I think.
Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks,

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Anything. The best one I've used was a super cheapie one from the local bike shop.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Anything. The best one I've used was a super cheapie one from the local bike shop.

^^^that. Got one from exotic for a fiver, does the job admirably!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get an OE one off a Scott if you can, the daughters BF runs one, light, bronz bush, super quality! GT ones aren't bad either, but not sure they do 34.9.

If you want one cheap I have an OE one off a spesh, black except for the bush holder which is silver after the original bush snapped, or a Silver one, unbranded but all good, PM me if your interested.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The OE ones off scotts are generic ones that can be found really cheap. The split forging on the lever is susceptible to breaking though. I personally think the Santa Cruz one at 14.99 (http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/product.asp?id=82) is the best you can get for the money. Super smooth and tough, with a nice profile that works really well if your post is 30.9.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except he said it's 34.9. Pay attention Mr Pinnick.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Strangely I wasn't happy with the stock santa cruz clamp. Has one of those plastic cam seats, though tough plastic, but just didn't seem so smooth and creaked a lot when locking. Probably just needed cleaning, or was worn, but slapped on the blingy Hope with brass cam seat for the hell of it :D

But they all do the job really.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I JUST BOUGHT MY NEW ONE FORM SUPERSTAR FOR £7 AND THEY COME IN A CHOICE OF COLOURS.

I DIDN'T REALISE THIS WAS IN CAPS AND I CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO CHANGE IT!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    M Parts, Exotic, OnOne.
  • benpinnick
    cooldad wrote:

I said a post of 30.9, not a clamp. Pay even more attention Mr Cooldad.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    benpinnick wrote:
    The OE ones off scotts are generic ones that can be found really cheap.
    Some may be, the one we have certainly is not generic, it has the S for scott in the lever for starters!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    benpinnick wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Size of the post is irrelevant to the size of the clamp required for the seatube, as you shoukld know.
    Keep up Mr Pinnick, or it's the speshul class for you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is very relevant! Try putting a 31.8 or 28.6 clamp with a 30.9 post! 99.99% of 30.9 posts use a 34.9 seat tube, there is a larger size but is rare. (seen on carbon frames)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Size of the post is irrelevant to the size of the clamp required for the seatube, as you shoukld know.
    Was about to say the same.

But in Santa Cruz world 30.9 = 34.9 clamp always, so we're happy. Not that the OP has a Santa Cruz. He should buy one I think and then would be sure the clamp fits.
  • benpinnick
    cooldad wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Now you say that, except the thing you've not taken into account is that the SC clamp goes up and over the seat tube, and fits snug around a 30.9 post, minimising dirt getting into the seat tube, and giving a nice smooth look...... Do keep up.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    As I have now been stomped by three people, I will go and cry quietly in the corner of the speshul class.
    I should be working anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`ve used the M part one before which I got fpr about £4.Works just fine.
    Also have a new Woodman SL Ti bolted clamp which I picked up for £12.Also works fine,just a lot lighter........
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've got a Hope one on mine, but only because it was on sale for a fiver and the stock Spesh one was awful (didn't tighten the post enough to stop it twisting unless you put insane amounts of force through the cam).