Best way to top up fitness?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
I am still in full time education as well as having a quick paper round to top up my bike savings and laptop components but can't find any time to fit into a proper fitness regime. :(

I am currently entering the Brighton Big Dog as a under 18 but my target is quite steep because it is finishing first in my category. :|
http://www.brightonbigdog.com/

Am I being ambitious because I only have a low spec customized bike and weekends to do cycling on? :?

And also what is the best design for entering a woodland XC race :?:

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I was in the same boat as you last year. I was going out for small runs in the evening after I'd finished working/revising, and then at least one 20mile cycle at the weekend.

The best advice I can give, is if you're training for an XC race, get out on the bike! Running/swimming and the like won't help anywhere near as much. Try and manage your work so you can get out say one afternoon during the week, then maybe a friday afternoon and a sunday morning etc. You'll surprise yourself though with your fitness, if you can cycle one lap no problem, you can usually do a fair few more without trouble! Just pace yourself and concentrate on getting longer rides in.

As long as your bike works, you'll be grand! And its good to have ambitions - its even better to achieve them! :D

What do you mean by design?
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    Thanks for the tip - I already do 25-30 miles every weekend in a single ride but I have recently done some short circuits but I think that a Carrera Valour may not be up to the job. It has a cassette attached to it and upgraded XCR LO's on it but i'm worried that it may not take it on the track.

Is there any idea to know what is suitable for this kind of thing?

Thanks.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    MTB noob wrote:
    I am still in full time education as well as having a quick paper round to top up my bike savings and laptop components but can't find any time to fit into a proper fitness regime. :(

I'm in a similar boat to you, I still manage to fit in a decent amount of training!
    I am currently entering the Brighton Big Dog as a under 18 but my target is quite steep because it is finishing first in my category. :|
    http://www.brightonbigdog.com/

I don't think there will be anyone massively fast there, perhaps some decent riders though!
    Am I being ambitious because I only have a low spec customized bike.....

If you're fast, you're fast regardless of what bike you ride!

The best way to top up your fitness - just ride your bike as much as you can, and ride fast when you do! XC is all about who can push the hardest for the duration of the race.