wobbly rider

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
my fellow cyclists i require urgent help. now i dont think it was the bike, but i could be wrong, but several times on my bike ride (http://app.strava.com/rides/9187495) especially coming up hilly roads, some not even that bad but an incline nevertheless the bike seemed to go off in different directions. sometimes it would go to the left where i actually hit a kerb and nearly fell over if i had unclipped too late. i tried keeping it straight but every now and again it would go left. then right. and really tried my best keeping it straight. is it me? am i lacking something or is it the bike? wheels run straight and true so its gotta be me. right?

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I've done that. On hills, anyway. For you it could be a variety of reasons. Lack of food/water? Nerves? Tired?

When I've done it, it's been due to nerves as I'm not comfortable on hills - getting better/more confident now. Or from being very tired.

Try to work out what it could be over time, then you'll sort it out. Good luck.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Had you just left the pub?? If so then i think i know what the problem is........ :D
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    How does the bike descend.
    Handling problems on the ascent are mostly due to unweighting the front end. This is more of a problem of larger riders because their weight is closer to the rear axle.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Headset could be indexed
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    MichaelW wrote:
    How does the bike descend.
    Handling problems on the ascent are mostly due to unweighting the front end. This is more of a problem of larger riders because their weight is closer to the rear axle.

HellO! i think that this is what the problem is. when i descend, bike is perfect, goes down fast and i dont go left or right. but as i'm ascending up a hill thats when i have the slight problem. i do weigh 16 stone and it could be as you said because of my weight being on the rear axle. i've only started cycling to be honest so i suppose i'm jst getting used to it. had a look at both wheels on bike and they are both fine, i.e not bent or anything.

thanks for your input people.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It could be that you are putting so much effort into going up the hill that you lose control of what your arms/shoulders are doing which translates through the bars and makes you weave.

You need to keep the upper body relaxed and keep the bars pointing straight, this get difficult if you are exerting yourself as you tend to tense everything up as you struggle to get the power down.

Do you stand or sit when going up?

Seated pedalling is the most efficient but standing can deliver better power over short periods. It also helps spread the load over more muscle groups and helps other muscles rest for a while. Standing can aggrevate the tendancy to weave though as your upper body sways if you are not concious about smoothing it out.

For longer climbs you could also vary between seated and stood to mix it up a bit.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    I suggest you get Derek Acorah to have a word with your bike. Or, try riding faster than 3mph.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!