TDF Albertville > La Toussuire - Les Sybelles

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Hi there

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum, but I am thinking of going to see a mountain stage this summer and have ear-marked stage 11 (Albertville > La Toussuire - Les Sybelles). This of course takes in the Col de la Madeleine and was hoping to appeal to the nice folk out there for some help or advice from anyone that has ever been to a mountain stage (notably this area).

I guess the obvious questions are...

- How long before the stage do you have to get to the mountain?
- Can you always drive up and park, or is it better to park up somewhere and cycle up?
- Any advice as to where to watch... Col de la Mad or towards the end up around Les Sybelles?
- Any other tips or help???

Any advice will be greatly received folks and thx in advance.

Regards... :D

Comments

• alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    Hi there

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum, but I am thinking of going to see a mountain stage this summer and have ear-marked stage 11 (Albertville > La Toussuire - Les Sybelles). This of course takes in the Col de la Madeleine and was hoping to appeal to the nice folk out there for some help or advice from anyone that has ever been to a mountain stage (notably this area).

I guess the obvious questions are...

- How long before the stage do you have to get to the mountain?
    - Can you always drive up and park, or is it better to park up somewhere and cycle up?
    - Any advice as to where to watch... Col de la Mad or towards the end up around Les Sybelles?
    - Any other tips or help???

Any advice will be greatly received folks and thx in advance.

Regards... :D
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Have a read of this, might answer some of your questions...

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12846954
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Only mountain finishes are so crowded that you have to be there days before. Otherwise show up early in the morning and see how far up you're allowed to go... of course I would cycle up, given the opportunity... in which case you can leave your car miles away and just go up a couple of hours before
    left the forum March 2023
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    The Gendarmerie will make a decision when to close the road. If it is a popular climb such as where you are looking, then very often the mountain will be closed from the afternoon before. You will find that people camp on the mountain for up to a week before hand just to get a good spot.
    You options may be limited to parking somwhere near the bottom and cycling up the mountain.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Moved to pro race.