Tyre pressures ! and adaptors

Jody400
Jody400 Posts: 15
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
First stupid question/s of many ! :oops:

Tyre pressures for a 13 stone me riding a carrera fury on tarmac and light trials

and ;

How do I pump them up ? I have a standard car type pump but the valves on the bike are tiny and don't fit, I've seen adaptors on ebay but don't know exactly which one I need

any help appreciated from a newb

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    There are two types of valve - Presta (smaller) and Schrader (larger). Cars and most mountain bikes have Schraeder valves. Some mountain bikes and most road bikes have Presta valves. You have Presta valves (don't worry, they are actually better - lighter and can deal with more pressure)

You either need to buy a pump which is compatible with Presta valves, this one does Presta and Schrader (I have one, its very good), or you can buy an adapter but I hear they are usually crap.

RE pressures: For paved surfaces and roads I would run 45-60 psi for better rolling, for trails and anything off road, drop to 25-35 psi for more grip.
  • Jody400
    Jody400 Posts: 15
    Perfect answer, thank you :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    TwellySmat wrote:
    [Presta valves]... are actually better - lighter and can deal with more pressure
    Just FYI, there's no reason to state that they handle higher pressure. Schraeder valves are used in some incredibly high pressure applications. Just think of a rear shock unit, for example, which is at a far higher pressure than your tyres will ever be.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    TwellySmat wrote:
    [Presta valves]... are actually better - lighter and can deal with more pressure
    Just FYI, there's no reason to state that they handle higher pressure. Schraeder valves are used in some incredibly high pressure applications. Just think of a rear shock unit, for example, which is at a far higher pressure than your tyres will ever be.

but they are at least 2 grams lighter than a schraeder.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TwellySmat wrote:
    You have Presta valves (don't worry, they are actually better - lighter and can deal with more pressure.
    sorry totally wrong.

The are used on narrow rims so that they don't effect the strength of the rim too much.

Please show me a Presta valve in a high pressure use.

Shocks? Nope.

AC systems? Nope......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Schrader used on trucks with 150psi and upwards
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • YeehaaMcgee
    nicklouse wrote:
    AC systems? Nope......
    No, you're confusing valves with switches.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:
    AC systems? Nope......
    No, you're confusing valves with switches.
    Damn sparkies.

Think cars not electrics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Electric cars. Right. Gotcha.