Average Speed on your Commute?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I usually average between 17-19MPH over a 35mile round trip, I find it impossible to get to 20mph I have done it once, I find that the lights and potholes and other cyclist slow me down, I tend to cruise at 20-22mph closer to home its 25-30mph as roads are better and slight downhill sections. Does anyone else find it near impossible to maintain a 20mph average.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I can maintain 20mph+ when rolling.
    Account for junctions, lights and traffic - not since I was in my mid-twenties.
    Still trying though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Its a reall let down when you have been maintaining that speed for 90% of the ride and those lights obviously hills too kill the speed down to 18
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You shouldnt worry about speed on the commute IMO, it should be about getting from A-B. I dont worry about speed, i worry about time.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I like to use my commute as training
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    This sort of thread comes up regularly here - so here are some regular answers:
    - firstly, there are too many variables for any figures to be meaningful. Wind, weather, how hilly is your route, how many junctions, how long the lights hold you up, even road surface.
    - so if you really want to compare yourself, try strava, which at least fixes the route, but not any of the other variables (I'm sure by now people will have gone out and driven a segment, carefully speeding up on downhills and slowing down on climbs - and holding an average of, say, 26mph, just to perplex people) or, as plenty will tell you, go racing or TTing
    - My average speed on a commute of similar distance, but I'm sure much, much hillier ;-), is about 27kmh, but it typically varies by ±5 with the wind, and the extreme records are 38 and, err, 18. Though that one was into a screaming blizzard the whole way.

- if what you really want is for us to tell you how fast you are:

Well done. You're really fast.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I usually average between 17-19MPH over a 35mile round trip, I find it impossible to get to 20mph I have done it once, I find that the lights and potholes and other cyclist slow me down, I tend to cruise at 20-22mph closer to home its 25-30mph as roads are better and slight downhill sections. Does anyone else find it near impossible to maintain a 20mph average.

You're my hero :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The thing is:

Absolutely balls out, on the fast carbon bike with a light tailwind my PB is 37 minutes to home, 36 minutes to work (12.2 miles, country commute, no traffic lights)

Cruising on the Tricross, just cycling in: 45 ish minutes

Meh.

It's fun to try and beat times and I like to try, but... meh.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    rubertoe wrote:
    I dont worry about speed, i worry about time.

In a constant A-B, average speed is the same as time.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Peat wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

I know that, if it takes me 45 minutes 30 x in a row that the speed will equate to an average. However. i am not looking at the speed, just how long it takes.

FWIW I am slow, probably why i dont bother with the speed.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Peat wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Not strictly true. If you use something like Endomondo, you can have auto pause on which takes out the stop / start aspect of the journey and shows your moving time.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If it's willy-waving you're after you've picked the right day. Any speed less than 20 is a disappointment to me ( I have a lot of disappointment) but avg commute speeds are usually around the 17 mark, some days down as low as 15 and just once it was 20.1; what a day that was.

Today was a good day - avg speed over 21.1 miles was 19.34 for the thrash in. Twas fun, except for m'colleague shouting encouragement out of his car window when he passed. Berk.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,706
    Anywhere from 28kph to 19kph depending on traffic lights.

So by and large, the 'average' bit is irrelevant.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Not strictly true. If you use something like Endomondo, you can have auto pause on which takes out the stop / start aspect of the journey and shows your moving time.

True, that feature is handy for weekend/evening rides when you have the odd snack'n'chat stop, but the purist in me dies a little inside.
  • CiB wrote:
    If it's willy-waving you're after you've picked the right day. Any speed less than 20 is a disappointment to me ( I have a lot of disappointment) but avg commute speeds are usually around the 17 mark, some days down as low as 15 and just once it was 20.1; what a day that was.

Im there with you I had one day it was 20.1 also best feeling ever reaching that, I think it was pure luck getting lights and fast on hills etc. Ive had as low down as under 15, had a 36mph head wind which decided to change direction so had it both ways :(
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    About 15-16mph on the Brompton. But I only do 3 miles.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I had one day it was 20.1 also best feeling ever reaching that, I think it was pure luck getting lights and fast on hills etc. Ive had as low down as under 15, had a 36mph head wind which decided to change direction so had it both ways :(
    I don't have lights & junctions (2 maybe) so it's all down to which route, wind, & me. Like rubertoe it's time that does it, <1 hour is my target but clearly if I bust the hour the avg is going to be > 20.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    This is the 2nd thread in 2 days where you've opened up by telling everyone how far and how fast your commute is. I assume that you've started the 2nd thread as no-one took the time to say how amazing you are on the first? So to save everyone having to read exactly the same post tomorrow - here it is "You're amazing".
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Anywhere from 17.5mph to 11.88mph depending on traffic lights.

No, you are not on the continent.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,706
    Anywhere from 17.5mph to 11.88mph depending on traffic lights.

No, you are not on the continent.

I hope you're not serious. *cracks knuckles*
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    27 mph every day.... and I don't even try.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    2.7 mph every day.... from the sun lounger to the fridge and back
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    DOOOOOOOMMMMBARRRRR
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wobbit
    Wobbit Posts: 91
    14mph average for my 10 mile commute along a mix of canal paths and roads on my mtb.
    Neilpryde Alize - Kinesis 4S - Cube Ltd
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    First time out yesterday; 14mph or so. Partly because the traffic in east London is nasty, partly because buses have this ridiculous habit of stopping and getting in the way, and partly because I wasn't interested in nailing it all the way.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Oh dear... I try and nail it all the way some of the time... my best to work is 17.25mph, my worst is high-13s, coming home I've never bettered 15mph, typically 13.5mph (its uphill). That's moving time but obviously slowing for lights/traffic/etc drops the average even if you dont take the stops into account. Coming round Regents Park I can maintain 22mph but its about my limit. Basically I've got puny legs :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It is a bit of a nonsense to try to compare speeds on different routes. My most direct route (13 miles) I'm lucky to average 16mph on the way home. For comparison, my 40-mile return loop , I can average nearer 18mph. My Etape C average over 81 miles was 17.6mph despite the shocking wind.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    16-18 over 11 south London miles, though can be as low as 13 and no less effort spent.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    As ever route and type of bike makes a difference, at moment i'm averaging about 8mph. new bike arrives friday should see a little increase next week but realistically it's a short route with dog walkers, deer etc.
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    Hmmm... I am beginning to think that I suck at this cycling lark. My commute is 6.5 miles (Stockwell to Hammersmith) but I can't seem to do it in under half an hour, which makes my average speed 13 miles per hour!!

No idea how much time I spent stopped at the lights but I hope it's fairly significant as otherwise I would be really depressed :-(

I downloaded Endomondo but it always has problems linking to a satellite or whatever it does and I gave up using it after a few days. After my usual journey home from work one day I checked it and it had only picked up the last 200 metres of my journey giving me an average speed of something like 0.2 miles per hour!

I'm on a SS, 42/16 which I think is 76 gear inches? Anything bigger than that and I struggle to get up to speed.

Thinking about dropping the bomb on a 'proper' road bike (i.e. one with gears), maybe that will help with the speed...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro