A cautionary tale...

Bi50N
Bi50N Posts: 87
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
On the train from Surbiton, heading to the office, my bike propped beside me. 'How sleek and graceful it looks' think I, 'how swift and agile was the ride.'

A nagging doubt remains. It looks almost TOO sleek. The ride was, perhaps, TOO swift.

My next thought: 'And where the fucking fuck are my panniers?'

They either flew off on the way in as I hit the most ridiculously malformed speedbump, or they're sat in my hall 20 miles away, patiently waiting to be clipped on, and wondering where the action is.

In either case, they have my change of clothes.

So today, reader, I will be mostly wearing shorts to the office.

Or to paraphrase: Long story. Shorts.

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Funny! I've never managed to forget my entire rucksack (I don't use panniers) but I have forgotten my phone or wallet in the past and sat at my desk sweating bullets wondering if I have dropped them somewhere or if they're at home and I just forgot to put them in my bag.... Do I work the entire day and wait to see if they're at home or go into panic mode and cancel credit, debit cards, phone SIM etc to stop some b'stard using them?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Well at least its nice weather to be wearing shorts to work - that is looking on the bright side
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I never have forgotten my bag, i use a rucksack.

But i have forgotten to pack various items of clothing and had to sit in my cycling gear all day. I also regularly forget my lunch.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    where would your head be if it was not screwed on......
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    How the hell did you manage to get a non folding bike onto the train at surbiton?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    Koncordski wrote:
    How the hell did you manage to get a non folding bike onto the train at surbiton?

I do a reverse commute. Cycle out to Surbiton, train to Woking.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    So far forgotten work trousers, towel - thankfully not on the same day... the towel was probably the worst, jump in the shower, come out open the bag... no towel... frick. I dread the day I forget my work shirt.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Bi50N wrote:
    Or to paraphrase: Long story. Shorts.

tl; dr... :wink:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Spare set of everything lives in my desk cabinet; job done...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So far forgotten work trousers, towel - thankfully not on the same day... the towel was probably the worst, jump in the shower, come out open the bag... no towel... frick. I dread the day I forget my work shirt.

I have a complete kit in the office in case I forget anything. It's sad I know. I'm sorry. :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297

I have a complete kit in the office in case I forget anything. It's sad I know. I'm sorry. :oops:

Same here
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    We've all had to go commando in the office once or twice.

Right...?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994

Right...?

Some people do it through choice, especially on a day like today. :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    rubertoe wrote:

Right...?

So more cameltoe than rubertoe then? :wink::D
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    youve reminded me that i need to put emergency socks/boxers in my drawer tomorrow
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Maxticate wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Right...?

So more cameltoe than rubertoe then? :wink::D

How does a 'wet penny in the pocket' look in red jeans?
  • We've all had to go commando in the office once or twice.

Right...?

Why yes, in fact I was only yesterday; It reminded me why I usually have button fly jeans, nearly "Something About Mary"ed it in the gents. :cry:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    nearly "Something About Mary"ed it in the gents. :cry:
    I really don't need to know the answer. But, why were you bashing one out in the gents at work?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382

Right...?
    Several times, right up until I started keeping a spare pair of boxers in my drawer about 18 months ago. So far only had to use them once (fairly recently).

On a similar note, I went on a ride in the sun at lunch today with a colleague. I went to pull out the little tool pouch that I keep in my courier bag and discovered it wasn't there. It's sat on a chest of drawers in the spare room at home where I left it after a ride on Saturday. I've been riding to work and back all week with no tyre levers or multitool! :shock:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179

Right...?

Yup, a couple of times.

For some reason the girls in the office always pull faces and go eeeuuuurrggggghhhhh when I mention it...
    FCN = 4
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    I haven't had to go commando at work for about 18 months.....that reminds me - I should take these pants home for a wash. ;)
  • appletrees
    appletrees Posts: 327
    Yep, been there, not for a while until today but opened bag this morning to discover no boxers or socks. Had wash. Put on suit, took quick wander to TK Maxx to acquire the aforementioned, walking v slowly so no-one could see white socks with suitage. Have replaced spare pair in drawers at work that I put there the time before last I forgot grollies and used last time I forgot them...commando in suit on hot day = urgent dry cleaners and therefore not going to happen. :roll:
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Forgot the my suit, shirt and tie one morning when I had a Client meeting. Waited outside Primark on Oxford Street, popped in at 8am when it opened and bought suit, shirt and tie for £50. Keep it in my work locker in case of emergencies.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452

That reads like it is an occasional office rule by some weirdo boss ordering no pants Friday
    "Right guys, listen up. Tomorrow I want you all to come in wearing no pants. I will be carrying out spot checks so no exceptions, especially you Chasey you cheeky young whippersnapper." :shock:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    For all those commando commuters....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thz1zDAytzU
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter