Annoying clicking noise from my Marin MountVision

wizzy1961
wizzy1961 Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Would appreciate any advice on the above problem. My Mount Vision has developed an annoying intermitant ticking/clicking type noise when pedalling on the flat. It doesn't seem to occur when pedalling slowly. Took it to my LBS but they weren't too sure what it might be.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

wizzy1961

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Seated or standing?

Shock bushes. Pedals.cranks.seatpost.seat.headset. Stem.bars.gearshifter and gears touching..

Work through it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wizzy1961
    Only occurs when seated, I have looked at all you have suggested but can't seem to find the problem
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    random noise??

always check the saddle and seat post first
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Check pedals for correct torque, check pedal bearings/bushings, cleat interface. Chainring bolts possibly, or maybe headset.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nicklouse wrote:
    Shock bushes. Pedals.cranks.seatpost.seat.headset. Stem.bars.gearshifter and gears touching..
    I'll add knees to that list :lol:
    I'm in a similar position, except I'm trying to figure out what that new clicking noise is!
  • bennett_346
    Both my bikes click and i've given up investigating. I can live with it and i don't think its affecting anything badly.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I get a nice crack from my Wolf Ridge when I put the power down on the flat, sounds like what you are describing. Everything is tight, greased and there are no cracks so I have just learned to deal with it and let everyone else worry about the sounds. It's definitely not my pedals, cranks, BB, wheel or drivetrain as I have had several on the bike and it always made the exact same noise at the exact same time. The creaking I get though is almost definitely cause by my rear mech as when I rock it, it makes a horrible squeak.
  • bennett_346
    My clicking noises also come from putting the power down on the flat. I'd love to know what it is, two of my bikes have done the same thing now.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    One place which I discovered could creak on the wolfridge, is the modular dropouts. I took them off, greased them, and reassembled with threadlock, and it went away for several months. When it came back, I degreased them, and rebuilt them with Locktite assembly fluid, and it's been fine ever since.
    Unfortunately, my seatpost clamp, pedals, BB, rear mech and the DU bush on the rear shock all make mad noises at times, so my efforts with th edropouts were pointless really :lol:
  • bennett_346
    To be honest if i spent time getting rid of the clicking noise on my bike it would only stop drowning out the howling from the drivetrain after last winters riding.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Could be anything. The trick is is to think what couldn't it be, if I'm doing this? For example if standing, it can't be the seat/post.
  • peter413
    One place which I discovered could creak on the wolfridge, is the modular dropouts. I took them off, greased them, and reassembled with threadlock, and it went away for several months. When it came back, I degreased them, and rebuilt them with Locktite assembly fluid, and it's been fine ever since.

Ah yeah that would make sense, they do like to come undone now and again even with locktight. Plus in the 8 months I've had it, it's sheared 4 bolts on the non drive dropout which is also the only one that comes undone. Must be to do with the braking forces. I also found that the pivots are the main culprit of the cracking sound I get. It was really bad when I first got it but that's because it hadn't been tightened properly but now it has been it only does it with the power on.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Wow, I've definitely not sheared a dropout bolt. And oddly, I've never had an issue with the pivots either, despite riding in some truly horrendous conditions.
  • peter413
    I must be a super awesome rider then, or I just weigh a lot more than you which is far more likely :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No idea. Was well over 16 stone over winter though, although it's now shedding away quite nicely, thank the gods.
  • wizzy1961
    Thanks for all the advice, looks like the marins come with a free annoying noise. Will check everything is well greased and tightened. iI know its definitely not my knees!

Wizzy1961
  • YeehaaMcgee
    wizzy1961 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, looks like all bikes come with a free annoying noise.
    Fixed it for you!
  • My mount vision had a creak from time to time. In my case it was the 4 pivot bolts not being properly torqued. After I stripped and cleaned them, did them up to proper torque and loctite-d them the creaking stopped! It was a very noisy frame though. Fantastic too!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm. I'd be wary of stripping and cleaning the pivots. They spec an incredibly expensive grease on there, which we used to use when overhauling power grid circuit breakers - again for very specific reasons.
    I'm guessing they wouldn't use something so ludicrously expensive if there wasn't a reason for it.
    Mine's 3 years old now, and the pivots show no sign of creak or cracking.
  • Mine were at 5 years old and were in a sorry state. One pivot bolt/axle had a lot of surface rust. I ended up replacing all the bearings too.

It was a 2nd hand frame though, so it is possible they had been fiddled with by the previous owner. At any rate, it stopped the creaking.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Definitely fiddled with. The pivot bolts are Titanium - which doesn't rust.