Losing my cherry

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
My IMAX 3D cherry that is :D

Never actually watched a film in an IMAX Cinema before but I'm off up to Sheffield the weekend after next and going to catch Prometheus on the Saturday night

£13! THIRTEEN quid!! I'd normally expect a massage and BJ for that kind of money. :lol:

So, is the film experience going to be way better than I've seen before or is it all hype?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    No idea about 3d IMAX, but normal IMAX = ENORMOUS SCREEN - so try not to be too near the front. Else you'll look like you're level with the net at a tennis match.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I saw the most recent Batman (that had stomach churning imax scenes in) and Watchmen in the waterloo imax... Brilliant

I've got Prometheus tickets for there as well... getting excited about it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    Ha, you pay at least 13 quid per person to watch a 3D movie in Richmond Odeon and the screen is no bigger than the flatscreen I have at home.

What irritates me is that when Cineworld reported their quarterly results last week, the MD still harped on about how it was a "cheap night out." WTF... I only ever go to the Cinema on a Wednesday now, and I take my own drink and food in. It helps that the cinema is 100 m down the road from me. I cant imagine the cost of going as a family with kids. That means it comes in at about £6 each which is ok. At todays prices, you could take your family to Giraffe or the like for a meal and it would still be cheaper.

What happens if you are single and have no-one to go with on Orange Wednesdays .... well you shouldnt be going to the cinema you should be out looking for lurve... !
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Super excited about Prometheus. A group of us are going to watch the Alien movies (all three of them) before heading out for the main feature.

Its going to be awesome.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    notsoblue wrote:
    Super excited about Prometheus. A group of us are going to watch the Alien movies (all three of them) before heading out for the main feature.

Its going to be awesome.

uhm, there's 4 movies?? :P
  • notsoblue
    richVSrich wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Its going to be awesome.

No. Resurrection never happened. Shut up.
  • richVSrich
    notsoblue wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Its going to be awesome.

:P

but super excited about Prometheus too - trying not to watch too much of the trailers tho...just know i want to see it
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The IMAX in Waterloo is the only IMAX worth going to. when you first enter and see the axiomatical-enormity of that screen it's stomach churning and mind boggling.

Then they turn it on. It's biblical.

The Wimbledon IMAX, which is an Odeon with a mini Imax screen looks good, better than the standard cinema screen, but it is not The IMAX.

£13 is about right. I spent £26 watching Avengers by myself the other day. I did have a premium seat ticket, jumbo hotdog, nachos and water...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • richVSrich
    Ive been to the waterloo one a few times - but i find ifs a too fast paced film, its gets a bit much coz the screen is so big...maybe i was sat a bit too close :S

avengers is going to be a hard film to top this year i think...
  • notsoblue
    richVSrich wrote:
    but super excited about Prometheus too - trying not to watch too much of the trailers tho...just know i want to see it

You're missing out! There are two shorts you need to watch.

Happy Birthday David the Android
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmbqH_z7jM

Peter Weyland TED talk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvx1xr88qfM

They won't give anything away about the movie like the trailer might.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The IMAX in Waterloo is the only IMAX worth going to. when you first enter and see the axiomatical-enormity of that screen it's stomach churning and mind boggling.

The Wimbledon IMAX, which is an Odeon with a mini Imax screen looks good, better than the standard cinema screen, but it is not The IMAX.

£13 is about right. I spent £26 watching Avengers by myself the other day. I did have a premium seat ticket, jumbo hotdog, nachos and water...

Why is a big screen so much better? Can't you just go to a cinema with a smaller screen and sit closer?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The IMAX in Waterloo is the only IMAX worth going to.

Can it do three projector Cinerama? Nope - it can't. Bradford, the oldest and best, is the only IMAX worth going to (it must be good if it makes going to Bradford worthwhile). And they even show decent films there unlike the multiplexes. And the audience isn't entirely made up of gibbering scroats talking sh!te into their phones all the time.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    £13 is downright cheap.

Last time I went to the IMAX at Waterloo, it was closer to £20. :shock:
  • richVSrich
    TGOTB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Why is a big screen so much better? Can't you just go to a cinema with a smaller screen and sit closer?

just go and experience the magic :)
  • richVSrich
    @ NSB - i'll watch those after i watch the film :)

@ applespider - was that one of those all nighter events? they're doing a lord of the rings marathon again...that would be intense...you would come out thinking you're a hobbit probably...
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I saw avengers assemble in IMAX 3d. I'd describe the screen as sort of bendy, the straight lines at the top and bottom of the screen bend due to perspective. It's sort of like your in the film.

It's cool.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Imax cherry was lost here, the biggest screen in the world. Needless to say it was an awesome experience though I didn't see any blockbuster as the Imax concept was pretty new 15 years ago so saw some sort of Attenborough Planet Earth docu.
    If you can get to the cinema early and get as close to the centre seat as possible, front-back and left-right.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    richVSrich wrote:
    @ applespider - was that one of those all nighter events? they're doing a lord of the rings marathon again...that would be intense...you would come out thinking you're a hobbit probably...

Nope - think it was the last Harry Potter movie. Then again, the Odeon in Leicester Square wanted £17.50. I remember why I don't go all that often!

Not sure I could cope with that sort of overnight marathon...
  • notsoblue
    richVSrich wrote:

You should consider them an amuse bouche before the main meal.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    TGOTB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Like a tv at home?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    notsoblue wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

+1 They won't reveal anything about the film...

IMAX Bradford was my first visit back in the early 90's. I remember going to watch Pink Floyd's The Wall at it while very.... stoned....

IT. WAS. AMAZZZZZIIIIINNNGGGG MANNNNN..... :wink:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    notsoblue wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Its going to be awesome.

tbh in some ways 4 is better than 3...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

IMAX Bradford was my first visit back in the early 90's. I remember going to watch Pink Floyd's The Wall at it while very.... stoned....

I watched it the first time at university - also keeping in with the wisdom of the time got absolutely buzzed of my tits before watching it in the great hall.

Left feeling very down.

Got home, what's on TV to cheer us up? BlackAdder! Awesome!

It was the WW1 'over the top' episode.

I'm surprised I survived the evening......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    SimonAH wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

I watched it the first time at university - also keeping in with the wisdom of the time got absolutely buzzed of my tits before watching it in the great hall.

Left feeling very down.

Got home, what's on TV to cheer us up? BlackAdder! Awesome!

It was the WW1 'over the top' episode.

I'm surprised I survived the evening......

Watched the wall once when sober - completely clueless. Then again when stoned off me tits and My GOD! :shock: :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hmm, I was going to go see Prometheus at my local Odeon but might venture up to Waterloo now. Been waiting for this for what feels like a while.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hmm, I was going to go see Prometheus at my local Odeon but might venture up to Waterloo now. Been waiting for this for what feels like a while.

I'm odeoning (3D) purely for time reasons, all [Imax} tickets had gone when I had got my brother on board and am away most of the following week. VERY EXCITED
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    I'm odeoning (3D) purely for time reasons, all [Imax} tickets had gone when I had got my brother on board and am away most of the following week. VERY EXCITED
    There's some reasonable seats still available during half term week if you're prepared to go to an 'off peak' showing. But the peak times only have a few crappy seats left. Decisions, decisions...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]