Compact chain ring and SRAM shifters

morny
morny Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, It's a long time since I had a road bike, and I just picked up a Boardman Team CX from Halfords. I'm a little confused about front derailer shifters though.

The guys in Halfords told me that the shifter for the front derailer has 3 stops (it's a double tap SRAM system). Even though there are 2 chain rings. So I press the lever (quite stiff) all the way in to switch to the larger cog, but then I press it a smaller amount, and twice to shift to the smaller cog. The guy in the shop told me that I should use the 2 stops on the smaller cog depending on how my rear gear is configured, but I'm confused how I can do that, given that I have to go to the larger cog before being able to tap my way through the two options. Is he making that up, or am I confused about how this typically works? Frankly, I'm surprised the shifter has 3 stops....

Anyone have the same system? Thanks!

Comments

• joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    That's the SRAM double-tap system. Basically it's either one long, slow-ish push to change in onr direction, and a quicker double-tap to change in the other direction. It's pretty easy really.
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    edited May 2012
    :oops: I'm not sure my system was he same so forget what I posted!
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    I have a set od SRAM shifters on my bike. The extra shift is really a micro adjust when you are on the big ring so that you can stop the chain from rubbing on the front shifter when using some of the lower gears. So basically the sequence goes like this...
    1. Shift to big ring. Can now use upper gears (smallest cog on the back to around just past mid point) with no chain catch on the front shifter.
    2. Single tap moves to micro adjust point, lets you use the lower gears on the back (bigger cogs) without chain rub.
    3. Tap again goes to smaller front chain ring

Hope the above makes some sort of sense

Andy
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Are you sure they sold you a bike and not a car jack?
  • morny
    morny Posts: 3
    gloomyandy wrote:
    I have a set od SRAM shifters on my bike. The extra shift is really a micro adjust when you are on the big ring so that you can stop the chain from rubbing on the front shifter when using some of the lower gears. So basically the sequence goes like this...
    1. Shift to big ring. Can now use upper gears (smallest cog on the back to around just past mid point) with no chain catch on the front shifter.
    2. Single tap moves to micro adjust point, lets you use the lower gears on the back (bigger cogs) without chain rub.
    3. Tap again goes to smaller front chain ring

Hope the above makes some sort of sense

Andy

Thanks Andy, that makes perfect sense :D