Road bike VS Hybrids

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi guys Ive been commuting a year now, my round trip is 36miles, Today I had a tailwind was doing 24mph easily, wind was 12mph, I thought I was going really fast as their was a slight hill, however I was still over taken by a hybrid I think, whats the deal with that? I tend to average speeds between 17-19mph on my commute, How r some people faster on hybrids than roadies?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    Talent innit ;).

Though you're right to feel bummed out by being passed by a bloke on a hybrid. :P

Moved to commuting chat.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Depends how fast you pedal!

It's like asking how a Ferrari can be overtaken by a Vauxhall. Well if the Ferrari is doing 30mph and the Vauxhall is doing 40.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • True I suppose there are two many factors to attribute, Once I over took him I didnt see him so I would say he was trying to show off and couldnt keep that speed up for a lengthy time
  • rick_chasey
    True I suppose there are two many factors to attribute, Once I over took him I didnt see him so I would say he was trying to show off and couldnt keep that speed up for a lengthy time

I suggest you head here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12575770
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Talent innit ;).

Though you're right to feel bummed out by being passed by a bloke on a hybrid. :P

Moved to commuting chat.
    In Bethnal Green I was overtaken by a bloke on what looked like a Grifter this morning.

I was on my CAAD8.

For shame.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • They may be fast on flats but put em on a hill and see how they do
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Ask your husband about it next time... :lol:

chances are he maybe only got on his bike 5 mins before you and had fresh legs, that's my reasoning for anytime someone passes me...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Love it! I was out on my road bike last night. Near the top of a very long climb I was just starting to build a bit of speed up as the road levels off. With the sun low a long shadow gives me warning of a cyclist about to pass. It's fair to say I was a little surprised to be passed seemingly effortlessly by a guy on a mtb.
    I refuse to be drawn into a silly battle and ponder if this guy is a truly elite rider, or if he has just descended down a side road to join the last bit of uphill I was on. He stayed in front for about a minute before I overtook him and a further minute down the road, he was nowhere to be seen. Conundrum solved. Does get you thinking though.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Love it! I was out on my road bike last night. Near the top of a very long climb I was just starting to build a bit of speed up as the road levels off. With the sun low a long shadow gives me warning of a cyclist about to pass. It's fair to say I was a little surprised to be passed seemingly effortlessly by a guy on a mtb.
    I refuse to be drawn into a silly battle and ponder if this guy is a truly elite rider, or if he has just descended down a side road to join the last bit of uphill I was on. He stayed in front for about a minute before I overtook him and a further minute down the road, he was nowhere to be seen. Conundrum solved. Does get you thinking though.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    On my mountain bike I made it a point of issue to catch and take other cyclists, in particular those on road bikes. To be fair it was a decent spec. hardtail XC machine and on smooth roads I locked out the front fork. I also ran lightweight non aggresive tyres and had tweaked the gearing with a road set up.
    I once hooked up with some kind of team out training (well they were all on team bikes and in team strips - light blue). 6 riders pulled past me but as it was uphill I jumped on the tail of the last one and got a tow for the next few miles. I am sure they thought it was a laugh and weren't trying, but it was bloody hard work sticking on the back of them as they rolled around. I didn't take my turn at the front as that would have been ridiculous, and to be fair I was glad when they turned right at a junction when I turned left as I was knackered.

Don't ever underestimate someone on a bike as you never know who it might be and on what bike. Current pro's might not be out messing about on mountain bikes but I understand there have been a few pro retirees who have entered other bikes races or challenges and I wouldn't fancy going up against some of them.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    It's because a hybrid is not always slower than a road bike.

I can do 24mph into a tailwind with my pannier on and my road bike weighing around 30kg. It's not that fast, it's the getting up to speed that is harder.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    willhub wrote:

I can do 24mph into a tailwind with my pannier on and my road bike weighing around 30kg. It's not that fast, it's the getting up to speed that is harder.

If you can do 24mph on a bike weighing nearly 70lbs then you are indeed a god! or it's electric?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    willhub wrote:

Error!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I did this today. Over took a roadie on my Hybridised MTB he clearly wanted to play as he tried a nonchalant pass a bit further on. I put some power down, got in his slipstream and caught him again and told him "I'm not having that like" as I sped past. I had been lucky with the lights, caught the green wave so to speak. Scalped another roadie a bit further along too.

Often when I pick a target and take them I'll get a complement like "you should race with a kick like that" and "your doing a good pace for a mountain bike". I wonder how much faster I'd actually be on a proper road bike...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    willhub wrote:

If you can do 24mph on a bike weighing nearly 70lbs then you are indeed a god! or it's electric?

If I've got a tailwind 24mph is easy on it! It just hurts getting it up to speed cause it feels like the bike is still at the traffic lights when you've set off lol.
    I did this today. Over took a roadie on my Hybridised MTB he clearly wanted to play as he tried a nonchalant pass a bit further on. I put some power down, got in his slipstream and caught him again and told him "I'm not having that like" as I sped past. I had been lucky with the lights, caught the green wave so to speak. Scalped another roadie a bit further along too.

Often when I pick a target and take them I'll get a complement like "you should race with a kick like that" and "your doing a good pace for a mountain bike". I wonder how much faster I'd actually be on a proper road bike...

You'd be like 1-2mph quicker.
  • bails87
    Why does your bike weigh 30kg?

Is it because of what's in the panniers? Are you a door to door brick salesman?
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    Are you commuter chaps familiar with the phenomenon that is Willhub?
  • bails87
    edited May 2012
    Oh.....
    MTB/CX

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yes.

Feeling peckish now. What to have, what to have? I know: a banana*!

* I know that was bhima but...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    Oh.....

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12846789&p=17547091#p17547091

Is a classic in his more recent guise.
  • bails87
    :lol:
    You can cut a slot down one end into which the front wheel will go, thus making it fit.
    MTB/CX

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The bike is one of the lesser variables in terms of how quickly my commute takes. Carbon to steel MTB is probably only about 5 minutes in 40.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Rolf F wrote:
    The bike is one of the lesser variables in terms of how quickly my commute takes. Carbon to steel MTB is probably only about 5 minutes in 40.

Yep, this is probably true but the ride feels so much better when you're purring along on a road bike, I used to commute on an MTB and you could feel the friction with the road and the wider ratio gearing meant you never seemed to get the perfect cadence and rhythm....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.