Garmin Edge 200 or Bryton Rider 35

TeamLeanMean
TeamLeanMean Posts: 12
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Bonjour Fellow Cyclists,

Iam Pretty New to the Road Cycling and have already got "The Bug" 1000000%, :D

I currently have a Sandard Cycle Computer which is ok but i would like to purchase 1 of the above due to the fact that they are both reasonably priced and can help me analyse my Stats, Progress, Training Mileage etc etc. I have tried my phone but it is Useless, :shock:

The Bryton would give me more Data Stats of my Cycling however after reading a few write ups the Garmin seems to be Far Better? Can somebody please give me some expert advice and analysis on these 2 GPS Cycle Computers please?

Which 1 should i Purchase?

Cheers For Your Help, ;>

TEAM LEAN MEAN!

Comments

• mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    Why not consider the Garmin 500. It will work with Heart Rate Monitor and cadence sensor. Then you will have even MORE stats to play with :-)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Of the two options I'd go for the Bryton. But I'd definitely try and stretch to a 500 over either of them. But then where do you stop.

I bought the bryton but the software is a bit clunky compared the garmin offerings, also if you use strava there's more faffing involved if you don't use a garmin.

I ended up with an 800 ;)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I agree with those above. Many times we go for what will get by now without thinking towards the future. The Garmin 500 will serve any needs, novice to pro, without smashing the wallet. I bought a 200 and quickly regretted having the extra data available. Over here in the U.S. we cant even buy the Bryton. Apparently Garmin has some issues with the Bryton computers and are taking them to court. Whatever the case Garmin products have always been top shelf in my experience. I have their equipment on my boat, in my car, and on my bike. Cant ever remember a single issue.
  • Cheers Guys, :D I was hoping not to spend too much but i would rather pay a bit more if it is worth it like you say, Cheers, :wink:

I will see if i can find a Good Deal on a Garmin 500 then, :wink:

Expensive Stuff this Cycling, :lol:

Thank You All!

TEAM LEAN MEAN!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Over here in the U.S. we cant even buy the Bryton. Apparently Garmin has some issues with the Bryton computers and are taking them to court.

That's all ended.

Another option is the new Bryton 40 which is a neater unit than either the 35 or the Garmins. It comes with pre-programmed training sessions as well (though you can make your own too). And obviously fully ANT+ compatible.

I reckon they are all good though (except maybe the Garmin 200 which seems a bit deliberately crap). Cheaper still is Holux though they are a bit bulky.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    I believe of the 2 units mentioned, the obvious advantage is that the Bruton 35 is ant+ compatible so you can't attach cadence and hr sensors later if you want, whereas the Garmin 200 you can't. I'm in the same position, but will probably try and stretch to a Garmin 500 based on the strava issue and strength of reputation!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I believe of the 2 units mentioned, the obvious advantage is that the Bruton 35 is ant+ compatible so you CAN attach cadence and hr sensors later if you want, whereas the Garmin 200 you can't. I'm in the same position, but will probably try and stretch to a Garmin 500 based on the strava issue and strength of reputation!
    FTFY
  • MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I believe of the 2 units mentioned, the obvious advantage is that the Bruton 35 is ant+ compatible so you CAN attach cadence and hr sensors later if you want, whereas the Garmin 200 you can't. I'm in the same position, but will probably try and stretch to a Garmin 500 based on the strava issue and strength of reputation!
    FTFY
    Cheers giz, I have a stupid phone, can't see text and keyboard at the same time!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Just got an Edge 500 a couple of weeks ago. Great bit of kit. I went for the one with HRM and Cadence. HRM is probably good to have if I get a bit more serious about training but as most of my riding seems to be at 80%+ of max its not that useful at the moment!! Cadence I am finding really quite useful though - trying to keep in the 80-90rpm range is not as easy as it sounds if you want to maintain a reasonable pace. Last night I rode for just over an hour average speed was 17mph, terrain ave gradient 2%, average heart rate 162. Doesn't tell you much in itself but I know I am improving as I am am logging all my rides on Strava.