Halfords Advert

kevess
kevess Posts: 186
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Not a lover of Halfords but their new advert has me bopping about the living room!!

The Skids - Into the valley, 1979, Adamson (RIP), Jobson et al.

Plus I had the obligatory piece of cardboard/playing card attached with clothes peg, but that was the sixties!! :lol:

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Lovely isn't it. Pure nostalgia for thos of us (ahem) in our fourth decade.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    SimonAH wrote:

If you're in your 40s, then it's your 5th decade... sorry.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    SimonAH wrote:

If you're in your 40s, then it's your 5th decade... sorry.

Bum. You are correct.

It's my disadvantaged upbringing and consequent lack of upward social mobility that has rendered my maths and logic into such ineffective squibs. :wink:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    ...and we had proper droughts back then. Summer of '76, now that was a drought. Not this modern namby pamby damp squib that passes for a drought!!!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Doesn't one of the bikes in the advert have suspension forks?

I think there are other things that look out of place/time too but I can't remember them at the moment.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I think there are other things that look out of place/time too but I can't remember them at the moment.
    There's a link to the ad on a thread in Cake Stop (don't tell anyone I looked over there). In fact, to save you going over there here it is: halfrauds
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    It is indeed a great advert and has captured the 70s and therefore a large part of my childhood perfectly when the most important thing was being out on your bike and you could be out from morning until teatime and no one wondered where you were or what you were doing and you survived eight hours of exercise and enjoyment without needing to carry bottled water around with you.

The only thing that ruins it is that it is for halfords!
    FCN = 4
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I think you missed the point of the ad. There are multiple examples of old & new together.

Point being that with a little bit of effort you can recreate these memories for your own children.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, from when I saw it, it seemed to be flitting between 'modern' kids playing and their parents playing when they were kids. So some of it was 70s, some was modern.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've been content to see that Halfords have been voted worst service on the high street - certainly matches my experience.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/shoppe ... 45941.html

Cool tune though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've just watched the ad properly and see the mixture of old and new now.
    Previously I had only glanced at it, saw it was 70s based and there was a bike with front suspension and it was for Halfrauds, so I didn't pay that much attention.

On a proper viewing, it is a very good advert.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    As I already said above it's a great advert but I just remembered a few more things.

One: Skids, Into the Valley with it's indecipherable lyrics was my all time top song for many a year and I loved the way Richard Jobson danced in the video and I still remember doing this dance with my cousin at our joint 16th birthday party in 1980.

Secondly one of my current friends dad used to be the manager of Big Country

And finally here's a quick glance through my childhood as captured by my parents on my Dad's cine camera. It has a similar feel to the Halfords ad although obviously theirs is a lot more professional and mine means more to me because err it's my life. My justification for including it here is that my Raleigh Chopper is in the video being cleaned by my mum who is 11 years younger in the video than I am now; that's fricken scary... (it also contains two of my cars; the ford Anglia estate that I bought off my grandmother who had bought it off my dad and the gold mark II Capri with black vinyl roof that i bought after I gave the Anglia to my younger brother)

MTB-Idle childhood video

notes on video below the footage and does this confirm Rick's theroy that everything was a bit more faded in the 70's?
    FCN = 4
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    It is indeed a great advert and has captured the 70s and therefore a large part of my childhood perfectly when the most important thing was being out on your bike and you could be out from morning until teatime and no one wondered where you were or what you were doing and you survived eight hours of exercise and enjoyment
    I watched the swallows versus the amazons film for the first time last weekend - "mummy we are taking this boat to that island in the middle of the lake, we've never sailed before and we don't have any life jackets and we will be staying there for several days in a tent". Mummy - "ok darlings, see you when you get back". Class.