helmet scarf

Yossie
Yossie Posts: 2,600
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Ignore the price, ignore the arguments yes helmet vs no helmet, ignore all that tat - I actually think this is a really funky idea:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... ay-forward

The delicious Victoria could wear it to cycle home then tie me up with it before kicking me around a bit in her big boots. Mmmmm - being kicked around by Victoria in her boots. Nice.

Comments

• Agree funky idea indeed. Next step will be whole body protection. Only thought is, if it get's triggered early on your ride - presumably you'd have to then wear it in the inflated position for the rest of the day (in any case, I wonder how you get it back into the scarf?)
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Funky idea. But, £355!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    It's a ridiculous idea...
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Have we gone back in time to April 1st??? It has to be a joke?

How heavy is it going to be? Also airbags deploy using explosives.. Not sure I'd want that around my neck!!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    It's a CO2 canister. Like you get in a life jacket or a jockey's protective back support. I don't think it's packed with explosives, unless you get the upgraded 'Suicide Bomber' version available from the Yemen.
  • Yossie
    Yup - its like the new Dainese/Alpinestars neck braces on their road leathers (probably exactly the same technology to tell the truth).

I also like the way they got the crash test dummies to test it - I always though that they were going nowhere after they released Mmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm.......
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Life imitating science fiction. From Snow Crash (1992):

'Then -- icing on the cake -- the guy goes nuts in the Cycle Shop. Totally
    berserk. Buys a complete outfit. Everything. Top of the line. A full black
    coverall that swaddles everything from toes to neck in breathable, bulletproof
    fabric, with armorgel pads in all the right places and airbags around the neck.
    Even safety fanatics don't bother with a helmet when they're wearing one of
    these babies.
    "So why don't you wear a helmet?"
    "The suit's got a cervical airbag that blows up when you fall off the board, so
    you can bounce on your head. Besides, helmets feel weird. They say it doesn't
    affect your hearing, but it does."
    She lets go of the handle and goes into free fall.
    At the same time, she jerks the manual release on her cervical collar and goes
    into full Michelin Man mode as tiny gas cartridges detonate in several strategic
    locations around her bod. The biggest one goes off like an M-80 at the nape of
    her neck, unfurling the coverall's collar into a cylindrical gasbag that shoots
    straight up and encases her entire head.
    '
  • RDW wrote:
    Life imitating science fiction. From Snow Crash (1992):

'Then -- icing on the cake -- the guy goes nuts in the Cycle Shop. Totally
    berserk. Buys a complete outfit. Everything. Top of the line. A full black
    coverall that swaddles everything from toes to neck in breathable, bulletproof
    fabric, with armorgel pads in all the right places and airbags around the neck.
    Even safety fanatics don't bother with a helmet when they're wearing one of
    these babies.
    "So why don't you wear a helmet?"
    "The suit's got a cervical airbag that blows up when you fall off the board, so
    you can bounce on your head. Besides, helmets feel weird. They say it doesn't
    affect your hearing, but it does."
    She lets go of the handle and goes into free fall.
    into full Michelin Man mode as tiny gas cartridges detonate in several strategic
    locations around her bod. The biggest one goes off like an M-80 at the nape of
    her neck, unfurling the coverall's collar into a cylindrical gasbag that shoots
    straight up and encases her entire head.
    '

Well remembered. Fantastic book.
  • Yossie
    RDW wrote:
    into full Michelin Man mode i]'

The delicious Victoria can jerk my manual release any time .........