Wheel Heroes 100 27th May

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
Is anyone doing this sportive on Sunday, its my first 100 miler and was wondering if anyone knows the course. It seems alot flatter than the 69Mile exmoor Beauty I done last and just wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what to expect.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you are talking about the Wheel Heroes 100 then I did that last year and have also done the Beast back in 2010. There is no comparison! The Wheels is a lovely ride out and a great way to crack off a 100. Assuming the route this year is the same as last year then there are only two hills of note and both local (for me). The good news is that the Stanway one has been resurfaced but it is a "spin-up" hill anyway, similar to the Exmoor Beauty climb up from Elworthy, but easier. The other one comes after a food stop up to Stow and that will probably hurt after taking a break. All doable but then again I like hills.

The hard thing about the Wheels 100 last year was the 30mph wind that gusted at 45mph...so hard you could hardly pedal at times. On the plus side, all the helpers were volunteers (it is a great charity) and the food stops were really friendly and well stocked. Well signed but the timing was hit or miss, apparently, with quite a few folks moaning (I didn't bother with the ankle chips as I didn't like the look of them, and used a watch :wink: ).

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you mentioned the Beauty not the Beast. Anyway, you will be fine. Just eat well and pace your self...and then go mad in the last 20 :)
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Yer the Wheel Heroes 100, just compared the the climbing and looks like the beauty had double the climbing that the WH100 has. Also my local 30 miles route has just as much climbing as the WH100 so shouldnt have to worry there.

The climb from Elworty is a cat 3 climb and there are only 2 x cat 4 on the WH100, that elworthy climb is horrible, my 30mile route climbs upto the junction at elworthy but i go the otherway to that climb as I just look at it and think nah, not again.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    How did you get on Nitr8s?? It was a blinking hot day I know that. I span around the Glos roads for a nifty 50 (k, that is) and was sweating my cobs off when I got back. Very hard work going into the wind at some point, which did make me think of the Wheels 100!