Stans - how much sealant in new setup?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks,

Set up a set of XTR rims with NN's about 1 month ago. All went OK. As per the guide for initial setup I set it up with 2oz in each tyre and then, once sealed, added an extra 1oz. I got a thorn in the front yesterday which I pulled out - thorn was at the bottom when I did this. Although the tyre sealed it wasn't exactly quick and I lost a bit of pressure. I would have hoped it would seal a bit quicker leading me to believe that I maybe haven't as much sealant in there as I should.

How much is too much and how often should I be replacing it?

Thanks

Comments

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I dont bother pulling thorns out, even if I notice them... whats the point? unless its half a twig sticking out - If you do need to pull the thorn out I would put your finger over the resulting spurt (making sure its at the lowest point) briefly to give the stuff a chance to seal the hole then you will be fine.

The amount of stans you put in depends on your wheel/tyre size (check the bottle) I normally err on the generous side though, when you hear the bobbly noise of the furry ball rolling round its time for change ;-)
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Cheers Pilch. To be honest it was sheer curiosity that made me pull the thorn out :oops: