So it's warm right?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
You're probably all in short-sleeved tops, fingerless gloves, shorts etc and STILL warm?

I was. After a mile I was sweating.

So could someone explain this to me?

warmcyclist.jpg

Please note the full water-proof jacket, full gloves, leggings AND woolly hat under the helmet.

Dear God.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Almost every day I see a guy walking with a snooker cue case. His is ALWAYS dressed in full down jacket, thick wooly hat, winter gloves and snowboots.

Takes all sorts!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Maybe the guy in the photo has some 40-odd mile commute and started out at 4am when it was still cold? ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SimonAH wrote:
    Almost every day I see a guy walking with a snooker cue case.

More or less every time I walk down Fulham road in the weekend I pass a chap walking down the road with two live parrots - one on each shoulder.
  • had similar yesterday afternoon, guy riding in winter tights overshoes and rain jacket, it was 15 degrees at that point, as i cycle by in bibs and short sleeve shirt
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i seen a guy last night who could have been that others evil twin except he was all in black...like a cunning ninja

i suppose he may have been expecting bad weather an was just caught out, but he was still riding along in a hat, helmet, waterproof jacket an trousers

the mind boggles
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Yeah. He's staring at you thinking 'poor sod he must be freezing'. :wink:
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You're probably all in short-sleeved tops, fingerless gloves, shorts etc and STILL warm?

warmcyclist.jpg

Please note the full water-proof jacket, full gloves, leggings AND woolly hat under the helmet.

Dear God.

He looks like he's going a pretty leisurely pace. Probably isn't even going to break a sweat!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I had leggings and a base top on this morning. Was about 9degC when i left at 6:30. Felt about right, my legs would have been cold in just baggys.

But that dude..... Maybe he is just working on the dehydration = weight loss principle?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    We've got the opposite in the aircon'ed office here today. We've got an "only gay in the village" member of staff here who has turned up today in a full spray tan, tweezed eyebrows, sleeveless t-shirt, those boxing boots and.... hotpants! Even the posing meeja types are muttering "it's not really acceptable office wear...."
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    msmancunia wrote:
    "it's not really acceptable office wear...."
    You think I don't know that?

I'll pop home at lunch time and get a scarf!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    There is the opposite extreme too.

I regularly see a guy commuting in baggy shorts and a t-shirt no matter the weather.
    Including during the worst of last winter. -10 degrees, 2 feet of snow and hard packed ice underneath :shock:
    He did concede to full gloves on for those days though :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    We'd commented this morning that we looked forward to the sheltered stretches of road so we could cool down. No pleasing some folks is there? :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    notsoblue wrote:

warmcyclist.jpg

Dear God.

He looks like he's going a pretty leisurely pace. Probably isn't even going to break a sweat!

He'd just pulled away from that junction you can see, in all that get up he can't possibly accelerate any quicker than a glacier
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Wasn't that warm in London this morning, the sun only came out about 30 mins. I'm not on the bike today and walked along the south bank at about 9am and the tops of the tall buildings were in the clouds and fog...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    msmancunia wrote:
    We've got the opposite in the aircon'ed office here today. We've got an "only gay in the village" member of staff here who has turned up today in a full spray tan, tweezed eyebrows, sleeveless t-shirt, those boxing boots and.... hotpants! Even the posing meeja types are muttering "it's not really acceptable office wear...."
    Good job he doesn't work in the motor trade. They are rather conservative round here to put it mildly.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Good job he doesn't work in the motor trade. They are rather conservative round here to put it mildly.

Apparently not....

motormech.png
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Wasn't that warm in London this morning, the sun only came out about 30 mins. I'm not on the bike today and walked along the south bank at about 9am and the tops of the tall buildings were in the clouds and fog...
    PS:- 8 degrees here at 6:30-7:00. 5 degrees with wind chill accounted for.
    Not that warm really.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It's obvious to me, he's Portuguese!

Anything under 20c is cold!

It was 30c at midnight the other day, I was still cold.

Sorry, I'll get me coat :oops:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike