Thetford Forest

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited May 2012 in Routes
Does any regularly ride Thetford Forest at all, i've heard that is about as good as it will get within a decent drive from Cambridge, but I know none of the trails.

Comments

• pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    Depends what your after really.

I like it because of the flowing red run and parts of the black run.

But theres no epic downhills or technical areas and you'll only go as fast as you pedal.

Woburn Sands is approx same time in other direction. Similar all weather trails but with more hills.
  • cycle monster
    cycle monster Posts: 448
    The Red and Black can be fun but the enormous amount of off piste stuff is miles better. I suggest that you log on to the Timber website and hook up with a Monday night ride to get a flavour of what there is out there. I have found loads of stuff that is not waymarked, all of it is better than the graded trails and I am assured that I have not even scratched the surface.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Sweet, I will have to give this a check as soon as I can. Does anyone fancy a ride to show some of the non-waymarked stuff on nights other than Mondays though as well?
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    MM contact these guys they showed me around they know all the best stuff!!!
    http://www.timbermtb.org/forum/
  • pholt89
    pholt89 Posts: 56
    I live near Cambridge and ride Thetford. Its good fun to blast round but as has been said not technical at all. The other option that I ride more is Chicksands. http://www.chicksandsbikepark.co.uk/home/ (website is a bit out of date).
    Its about an hour and a half away near Bedford. All the trails are short, 1-2 mins tops, but are great fun. Its more jump orientated than thetford so if xc is your thing probs not worth bothering with but definitely some much bigger features than Thetford.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    MM, if you can skive off on a Monday or a Friday I might be tempted to give Thetford a whirl sometime.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]