Does anyone use OSM maps instead of OS maps?

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    Like I said, I'll be routing stuff beforehand on bikehike, which uses OS maps
    I haven't tried bikehike in a looooong time, and didn't get on with it's rather clunky ways at the time, but did you know that Bing maps lets you plan routes on OS maps too?

EDIT:
    Just checked out bikehike again, and still clunky, and still has issues showing OS maps.

It's always worked for me, but then I've not used it that much. I think you've mentioned bing maps before, I'll remember that, thanks.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you follow the instructions on open mtb, you can get Garmin Map source to install using the open maps
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Talkytoaster seems to suggest that the OS style maps don't work with the Garmin 800.
    It's all a bit of a mess, isn't it?

Doesnt work with the 800? Thats the unique selling point of the 800 over its predecessors.

Bails, you may be planning out routes to your hearts content but numerous times I've hurtled down a bridleway and got caught in the fun of it only to find once I reached the bottom I should have turned off earlier, now if the OSM doesn't have the bridleways mapped out you could be faffing around for a while to get back on track i.e. climbing back up the bridleway when you could have taken a short route round to get back on track. (happened to me before)

However as you've mentioned you'll take out a paper OS anyway so not too much of an issue but the point is the OS on the Garmin speeds up that location process so much quicker as it tells you exactly where you are, but then its the trade off you have vs paying extra wonga.