Mobility.

12345679»

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    daviesee wrote:
    Maybe, but you haven't made a career out of it ;).

Maybe I have. Maybe I haven't. How would you know? :wink:
    Right now I am being paid a relative fortune saying little and achieving less. :twisted:
    Steve Jobs?
    Look at the Apple share price. He created quite a few jobs. See what I did there :wink:

Apple will eventually fall back into line when consumers realise that all that stuff they moaned at M$ for (simplicity, bugs, openness etc) is actually present in Apple too. Instead of 'just' a monopoly, they bought into a 'pretty' monopoly.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    jds_1981 wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

Perhaps the low gini coefficient of income equality in Sweden & Norway discourages the academically able people from aiming for well paid jobs or pushing hard for promotion in their jobs?

I'd imagine that a low gini coefficient is the single biggest factor re-mobility. Given that Scandi GDP per head's pretty high I'm not sure there's a detraction to well paid jobs - they're relatively all well paid...certainly more productive per head than the UK.

Low gini coefficient would have course affect 'mobility', communism would presumably get 0 on it. There's no 'mobility' at all then though (edit: or 100% mobility every generation).

Haven't checked for Scandinavia in general, but I pointed out to you in another thread that once you strip out natural resources from Norways productivity their productivity is lower than the UKs.

TBH I find it concerning that their more academically able people aren't the ones then earning more (although this inference may be too far and as I said before, the timescales are too short.)

edit:edit, clarification.

Not quite 'social mobility' but clearly there were ways to climb your way up the ziggurat to gain access to a little bit of bourgeois luxury. It wasn't about how much money you had, so much as how murderous you were willing to be.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Origamist wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    Napoleon
    EIck wrote:
    With my mod hat on:

You're entirely entitled to a) disagree with me and b) be thoroughly irritated by my opinions. < That's what a forum is about.

I've been quite civil bar a little family guy clip or two :).

I suggest you don't start calling people names.

Bzzzt! Name calling. You're in the Sin Bin.

I'm intrigued to see how this name calling stuff is going to play out next time MBC comes round to play...

Damn, I didn't think anyone would pick up on a bit of asteism on a cycling forum...

MBC is very good at name calling and I would give him special dispensation to be occasionally rude. I'm not sure Rick would agree however.
    To be fair I don't think I actually called Rick a name. I wouldn't say so.

Let's dissect it:

"You know I actually find you quite immature and lacking humility." Nope, I wouldn't call this name calling.

"Now then, I've taken the time to write this so that next time when I fall upon simply calling you a 'prick with short man syndrome' you will understand where I'm coming from."

I actually haven't called Rick a 'prick with short man syndrome' here. All I've done is explain that if I should ever do so - his 'moderator actions be damned' - then at least he'll have understood why I have done so.

So I'm not actually clear as to where I have directly called him a 'name'.

Like TWH I to think it is quite something to troll your own thread, railroad the discussion and refuse to accept any counter argument or perspective in order to favour your own view for 10+ pages and then play 'moderator' even though the moderator is a large part of the problem.

Anyway.

A large part of social mobility issues we have now was born out of Labour trying to make everyone middle class through obtaining degrees. Time was - as seen in Essex which is fuelled by trades (builders, plumbers, eletricians, mechanics come good) - a working class person could climb the ladder through hard skills and manuel labour roles. Jobs more fitting with the families values, like at 16 - 18 the kid had to go to work to help support the family whereas a richer family didn't have such constraints.

BUT this whole thread is built on the blinkered belief that education is sole key to success. It ignores external societal factors that limit the impact or delivery of education for some. These have been bought up time and time again but the discussion has been railroaded IMO so that one person can enforce their point of view, probably simply to prove that they right or because they can't accept that they may be wrong.

I'm done.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Disingenuous.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Apple will eventually fall back into line when consumers realise that all that stuff they moaned at M$ for (simplicity, bugs, openness etc) is actually present in Apple too. Instead of 'just' a monopoly, they bought into a 'pretty' monopoly.
    Sounds like a PC v Mac argument and I am not going there.
    My point was Steve Jobs was in charge of a company that was doing very well and that company continues to do so.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    daviesee wrote:
    Sounds like a PC v Mac argument and I am not going there.
    My point was Steve Jobs was in charge of a company that was doing very well and that company continues to do so.

And mine point is that it wont last. My original point was that Steve jobs wore black turtlenecks a lot.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    manuel labour roles

What, like inept Spanish waitering?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    99% of it is attitude.

There is an area near to where I live called xxxxxxxx. In xxxxxxxx it is apparently totally acceptable to take your groceries home from ASDA in a shopping trolley and then leave the trolley on the grass verge outside your house until the van from ASDA comes round twice a week to collect it. Or more often until kids chuck them into bushes or push them into the road. It is locally known as trolleytown.

xxxxxxxxx has well maintained houses, it is laid out in pleasant cul-de-sacs, it has excellent services and proximity to a vibrant town centre. Pretty much every house and flat has at least a bit of a garden. The local schools are great and the town's parks and recreational facilities are excellent.

Yet xxxxxxxxxxx is classed as a 'deprived area'.

Kiss my pasty behind.

The only solution I was told yesterday by a proud resident was for ASDA to offer free grocery delivery for a mile radius as they charge £3.50 to deliver at the moment, which is scandalous, and they should expect people to steal the trolleys.

What can you do?

Some people would only accept 'social mobility' if you laid on a free taxi service to take them to and from the next rung of the ladder - and paid them for their time.

.....edited to delete the name of the area.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SimonAH wrote:
    99% of it is attitude.

There is an area near to where I live called xxxxxxxx. In xxxxxxxx it is apparently totally acceptable to take your groceries home from ASDA in a shopping trolley and then leave the trolley on the grass verge outside your house until the van from ASDA comes round twice a week to collect it. Or more often until kids chuck them into bushes or push them into the road. It is locally known as trolleytown.

xxxxxxxxx has well maintained houses, it is laid out in pleasant cul-de-sacs, it has excellent services and proximity to a vibrant town centre. Pretty much every house and flat has at least a bit of a garden. The local schools are great and the town's parks and recreational facilities are excellent.

Yet xxxxxxxxxxx is classed as a 'deprived area'.

Kiss my pasty behind.

The only solution I was told yesterday by a proud resident was for ASDA to offer free grocery delivery for a mile radius as they charge £3.50 to deliver at the moment, which is scandalous, and they should expect people to steal the trolleys.

What can you do?

Some people would only accept 'social mobility' if you laid on a free taxi service to take them to and from the next rung of the ladder - and paid them for their time.

.....edited to delete the name of the area.

Doesn't the ASDA charge to use a trolley?
    Perhaps you could go round to Trolleyton (sound better than Trolley Town) the day before the official collection and collect the trolleys yourself, then take them to a scrap metal dealer for the £s?
    Or melt them down for your next N+1.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Ha! I like the scrappage idea!

Seriously though, when feeding a pound coin into a trolley a few months ago a kindly gentleman stopped me doing.it and proudly freed one for me with one of those tokens on a short length of chain. Feed it in to release the trolley and then rip it back out again.

I wonder if this would count as 'going.equipped'?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.