Options for excessive flat feet

Will Nunez
Will Nunez Posts: 203
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
My son has very pronated feet. His feet basically point outwards almost like a charlie chaplain gait. He has had physio and insoles to correct this but at the end of the day they are at an angle. As such he tends to cycle with his foot arch or heel on the pedal rather than the ball of the foot.

Clip ins are obviously not an optipn as he moves from kids bike to adult race bike. But has anyone come across this?

I want to get him some kind of clip pedals that hold his toes in place but dont cause his heels to constantly bang the crank and frame, eg extra wide pedal or a fixing that isnt in the ball area.

Any ideas?
Current Stock:
Carrera Vanquish '08
Orbea Onix T105 '11
Carrera Fury '07

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I have very flat feet and suffered problems with my heel banging against the crank when using clipless pedals. I solved this by initially using spacers to move the pedals away from the crank, then going over to SpeedPlay pedals that are available with a longer shaft. There are a couple of threads on this topic - search under my user name.

I still have the spacers which I'm prepared to sell. If that's of interest, PM me and we can discuss. Thanks.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Will Nunez
    Will Nunez Posts: 203
    Cheers. hes 12 and a bit clumsy so am reluctant to clip him in just yet.

Since Ive posted this ive found that there are some wide platform pedals that may fit the bill like MKS Lambda pedals, that have a longer base

But ill have a look at what you have posted as a route for the future when the coordination gene kicks in ;-)
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07