Abus Granit mount impossible to fit

jt256
jt256 Posts: 11
edited May 2012 in The workshop
I'm struggling with the design of my new Abus Granit lock. I actually quite like the kryptonite mount of my old lock, but I wanted a better lock so went for Abus instead.

I've attached a photo. Basically, to slide the lock onto the mount (which will be attached to the frame) there's no clearance where the tightening bolt protrudes from the nut. IF the bolt protrudes through the nut, as in to get it tight, then you can't slide the lock onto the mount because the bolt is in the way. Does this make sense?

Has anyone else actually mounted this lock? I'm baffled. I don't really want to have to hacksaw the bolt to the right size. The mounting instructions are also pitiful. Very disappointed, given that this has had good reviews.

The kryptonite mount is far superior, in that the tightening mechanism for the mount doesn't in any way affect whether or not the lock will slide into the mount. What are my options? Thanks

Comments

• jt256
    And here's a pic to show how the lock gets jammed up against the bolt when you try to slide it into the mount
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Try sliding the mount onto the bracket before tightening the bolts (easier without the lock in); the bolts fit into the holes in the body of the piece around the lock.

Much more secure than the kryptonite POS brackets, the only better bracket I've used is the ezykf one from abus which is simply the best bracket out there.
  • jt256
    Thanks. Is that to say, the mount and the mounting bit attached to the lock stay on the bike? So they're permanently attached? I'll try this. In which case I was rash to think that Abus's design was rotten. But compared to kryptonite, where the lock slides into the mount every time to deploy it, this was round doesn't strike me as obvious at all. And the instructions don't help.

I had wondered why there were holes for the bolts to go into. Back to the garage...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Yup, it's really counter intuitive. However it is the most solid design on the market (barring the previously mentioned other abus one)

Bear in mind that you need room to slide the shank out of the piece around the lock to take it on and off the bike.
  • jt256
    Thanks. Damn, kind of wish I'd bought the one on amazon with the Eazykf Bracket which works out much cheaper than buying separately. Hmmm