Trying to get the miles in but...

jamiestogden
jamiestogden Posts: 52
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys. Im supposed to be doing the C2C in August but Im really struggling to get the road miles in. After around 3 hours I get a serious amount of stinging in the nooks and crannys where my inner thigh meets torso just behind the gentlmens vegetables. It gets to the point where doing anything more than 1-2 hours on a second day is just too much, like somebody took sandpaper to the under carriage, never mind attempting 60 miles per day for three days :(

Set up is... CX bike, Charge Spoon saddle (flat, quite far forward on the rails) baggy shorts but with the proper padded liner. Never tried chamois cream or the like as most people say shouldnt need until hitting the 50 mile mark. I'm pretty certain saddle is right height though as I'm quite smooth when peddling and no rocking at the hips.

After reading around some suggestions include tilting saddle nose down a bit to sit more on the sit bone or trying cream. Some even suggest under shorts but this just seems wrong.

Any hints and tips from you all would be massively appreciated, i really need to start getting the hours in with only 10 weeks to go. Not been able to get out today and probably not tomorrow either.

Comments

• marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    its prob to sweaty down there , try getting some proper bib shorts ,dhd's are good . the shorts u use r prob bunching up & the seems will be thicker
  • Chamois cream is worth a try - different people need it at different points. Also, if you're not *ahem* commando this can cause chaffage (not sure if your shorts have tight Lycra inners, if not worth investing).
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Just buy the padded undershorts.

Mine are Altura Progel and worth the investment.

Edit: worth saying also, I assume you're washing them regularly...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As stated - try some proper lycra shorts. Baggies may be fine on a mountain bike but you are doing bigger distances in a more forward position than your typical MTB.

Clean shorts every ride too - hygiene is essential when doing day after day rides
  • Penfold06
    Penfold06 Posts: 161
    Agreed, a good pair of shorts can make all the difference. May even be that the saddle shape just isn't right for you. I had the same problem with my old standard Boardman saddle. Swapped to a Specialized Toupe and its all but gone.

Although I do still chaf a little if I use my cheap pair of shorts compared to my tights which I spent a bit more on this winter.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Wheatgerm oil slap it on before every ride for prevention and every night until your present irritation subsides. Get itin the health food shop.
  • Thanks guys, all good advice. Should have said in my original post that the baggy shots are Altura with a Progel, padded, lycra inner, always clean after every ride and nothing between them and me :)

I feel just plain wrong in lycra only and always prefer to wear an outer layer. Maybe time to rethink though, at least get something a bit less baggy and thinner like the Endura Firefly shorts. Problem is I ride off and on road about the same and can't afford two wardrobes :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Chamois cream is worth a try - different people need it at different points. Also, if you're not *ahem* commando this can cause chaffage (not sure if your shorts have tight Lycra inners, if not worth investing).

She(?) speaketh the truth.
  • Definitely time to try some cream... Now then, who applies it directly and who to the shorts? Seems 50/50 so far...

Also, hope you all don't mind but just another quick question I never thought to ask at the time of original posting (sorry).

Can you work through the discomfort and it gets better, as in your region will get a bit more hard wearing :)

I suppose kinda like breaking in or does danger of permanent or more painful damage occur if riding when already in discomfort? Example, when I started climbing my fingers were sore for ages afterwards but eventually just got used to it and got a little tougher.
  • Chamois cream is worth a try - different people need it at different points. Also, if you're not *ahem* commando this can cause chaffage (not sure if your shorts have tight Lycra inners, if not worth investing).

We may not have man vegetables :wink: but it doesn't mean we're exempt from chaffing...
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • rick_chasey
    Chamois cream is worth a try - different people need it at different points. Also, if you're not *ahem* commando this can cause chaffage (not sure if your shorts have tight Lycra inners, if not worth investing).

We may not have man vegetables :wink: but it doesn't mean we're exempt from chaffing...

It was more I was checking you were indeed a she, not questioning your credentials re-chafing. ;).
  • sadlybiggins
    sadlybiggins Posts: 158
    As others have said, go for the best pair of bib shorts you can afford and try some chamois cream. I suffered with similar problems to you on and it made a massive difference. I went with Assos cream on a friend's recommendation. It is very good and lasts a long time but it is expensive. Veet also helps if you are a bit hairy in the perineal region as I am (I use the Veet cream that you apply with a sponge and then wash off in the shower), although read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter (and don't read any reviews on Amazon :shock: ).
  • rick_chasey
    Veet also helps if you are a bit hairy in the perineal region as I am (I use the Veet cream that you apply with a sponge and then wash off in the shower), although read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter (and don't read any reviews on Amazon :shock: ).

This is totally not essential and has an impact on other areas of your life (i.e. making you look like an overgrown baby / a connoisseur of grumble videos on the internet).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst some folk think baggies look cool, the downside is that the nylon material creates a veritable sweat-fest in your nethers - ditch the hang-up about lycra and wear decent bib shorts and slap-on a decent cream with known astringent properties - Sudocrem work too. Two layers of material also means that chaffing is likely to be a problem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Veet also helps if you are a bit hairy in the perineal region as I am (I use the Veet cream that you apply with a sponge and then wash off in the shower), although read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter (and don't read any reviews on Amazon :shock: ).

This is totally not essential and has an impact on other areas of your life (i.e. making you look like an overgrown baby / a connoisseur of grumble videos on the internet).

WTF is a grumble video? Or should I probably not ask (considering I'm at work) :D
  • rick_chasey
    Veet also helps if you are a bit hairy in the perineal region as I am (I use the Veet cream that you apply with a sponge and then wash off in the shower), although read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter (and don't read any reviews on Amazon :shock: ).

WTF is a grumble video? Or should I probably not ask (considering I'm at work) :D

It's a viz term for pron :P.
  • As others have said, go for the best pair of bib shorts you can afford and try some chamois cream. I suffered with similar problems to you on and it made a massive difference. I went with Assos cream on a friend's recommendation. It is very good and lasts a long time but it is expensive. Veet also helps if you are a bit hairy in the perineal region as I am (I use the Veet cream that you apply with a sponge and then wash off in the shower), although read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter (and don't read any reviews on Amazon :shock: ).

In complete agreement. Proper shorts and cream are the key. I prefer bib shorts for the fit and comfort, although they make the quick roadside break a lil slower. Its tough to accept paying full tilt price for some of these bibs out there, but on any given day you can find them on sale and closeout bins. I ride in the Florida tropical heat and without the above I would not be riding to far.
  • tommo7567
    tommo7567 Posts: 95
    Hi Jamie,

Get some padded shorts and try the chamois cream. We're all different and what works for one may not work for someone else. Try the cream, rub in well and see if it makes a difference, worth it for a tenner to find out, specially when it gets hot...

Tommo
  • Shorts and cream no matter how far or long I ride. Once you get a bad infection or sore back there you will be off your bike for a long time. Not worth it. I admit Im not fond of the slime filled bibs, but then again, Im less fond on sitting on the couch wishing I could ride.