27.2 dropper posts, any experience?

tugger
tugger Posts: 122
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Having decided that the reverb on my full suss is the best thing ever invented I would like one for my ht.

It needs a 27.2

I know there are a few out there, but the market leader and basically universally agreed best one, the aforementioned reverb, dont come in a 27.2.

It seems from the outset that they might be too slim to work well/be reliable/strong enough yap yap yap

Anyone got any experience to share?
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

Comments

• Stevo210
    Stevo210 Posts: 196
    Gravity Dropper is up there with the best for that size, if not the best. It could be manufactured for £25 but its simple and can be easily stripped and cleaned and like new in less than 10mins.

Ive had mine for 12months and its brilliant.
  • tugger wrote:
    ........It needs a 27.2.......Anyone got any experience to share?

Stevo is right on.
    Don't expect more than 100mm travel though with 27.2.
    It is one of the only ones on the market that is quite easily fully serviceable because its mechanical. Just beware that you don't smack your package with it when you release from the lowest setting :shock: It comes up at the speed of light.
    I have a customer on a 27.2 Gravity Dropper so my experience is limited to the test rides I have done. Not as smooth as a hydraulic but thats not so important is it. X-fusion also has 27.2s. That company is extremely underrated suspension wise so I assume their posts are of great quality and value as well.
    canadian. mechanic. GS1 and ProTour '04 & '05. church of bikes since 1978.
  • tugger
    cheers guys
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Interesting reading... I'm on 27.2 and am slowly coming round to the idea of droppers. Might be on this Christmas' wish list.
  • tugger
    mate, droppers are the way forward. totally converted. bought a full suss fairly recently and the dropper is just brilliant. my hardtail would be brilliant with it, just need enough "drop" on the dropper.

will give one a go when disposable income allows, thing is might not be too keen to run it in rubbish conditions, but these things are purchased to be used and broken, so i guess whatever, and if like these guys are saying they are easily stripped, then its a no brainer
  • tugger wrote:
    ....... and if like these guys are saying they are easily stripped, then its a no brainer

Just like nothing in life is free there are no real no brainers. Gravity Dropper has simply manufactured a very service friendly product. Check out their website and have a look at the support infos.
    Important is also that whatever brand you choose, they are well represented in your country. My KS, Reverb and Gravity Dropper customers are all happy like pigs in a stye with their respective posts.

Have a good day.
    Over and out.

Matthew
    canadian. mechanic. GS1 and ProTour '04 & '05. church of bikes since 1978.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Only shame is that most seem to be 100mm max drop, my non-27.2 KS is 125mm and really that is possibly one inch less than perfect, already.

But, any dropper is better than no dropper, and at the end of the day for any hairy bits you could always do the manual thing and drop the entire post the old way.
    Giant Reign X1