Replace Rear Derailleur

jndb72
jndb72 Posts: 629
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening,

Spent the evening cleaning the bike and re-indexing the rear gears when the bolt that you loosen\tighten to pull the cable through snapped, the head got left on the allen key and the body of the bolt is still in the hole. I'm guessing that's the rear derailleur FUBAR. It's an Shimano Deore XT 10 speed (RD-M773 SGS).

Is it an easy enough job to take the old one off and fit a new one? Would I need any additional bits or special tools?

Cheers

Justin
2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Try and get a screw driver type head in the part that's left, it's just a bolt
  • jndb72
    Try and get a screw driver type head in the part that's left, it's just a bolt

Good idea, I never thought of that.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• jndb72
    Ok, for the life of me I can't get the broken bolt out. It seems to be well and truely stuck in there. So, looks like a new rear mech, unless anyone has any other suggestions. As mentioned, its a Shimano Deore XT 10 speed (RD-M773 SGS).

Just done a quick Google and according to CRC they've been discontinued. Anyone have any idea for a replacement?

TIA

Cheers

Justin
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Drill it out. Left hand bit.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or any Shimano 10 speed mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    You can pick up damaged bolt removers on eBay for a couple of quid. Just search for 'easy out'.

• mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    The direct replacement for an RD-M773 is an RD-M780 or it's slightly updated younger brother RD-M781.
  • jndb72
    mister p wrote:
    The direct replacement for an RD-M773 is an RD-M780 or it's slightly updated younger brother RD-M781.

Thanks for the info. I'll have one last go and try to get the bolt out this evening, and if that don't work its a new rear mech.

Seems like this http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-deore-xt-rear-derailleur---shadow---rd-m780-sgs/aid:515829 is the ideal replacement?

Seems you can have an SGS or GS version and the blurb from Canyon specifies either (I think), so I'm a little confused as to which one to go for.

Last questions, where's the best online place to pick up one of these (I don't often buy parts online so I'm not sure where to look, and who has a decent reputation).

Thanks a lot.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0