Newbie advice

toploadertom
toploadertom Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all!

New rider here and Im after a bit of advice. I brought a carerra kraken from halfords a few weeks ago and just recently I have noticed a shudder or vibration on braking from the front. Also the front brake seems to be catching/rubbing.

I went back to halfords who inform me that this is 'normal', I should expect vibration on braking! It is even there at low speed. also they tell me my pads are quite worn and will require replacement, Ive only ridden about 50 miles on the bike! Any suggestions gratefully recieved :mrgreen:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They may need readjusting - download the manual and see what it says. Though a slight bit of rub is not uncommon.

Check the bolts are done up tight too, and the rotor is straight.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Check for play in your headset as well. My front end vibrated for a while, while braking, until I tightened it up. Wasn't so much vibrating as knocking though
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Something else you can try is a couple of big stops - your brakes won't even be bedded in properly that new so get some heat into them.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Theirs a few Halfords stores out there that aren't very good at setting bikes up i'm afraid so if you follow the advice already given you should be ok lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    Halfords are not great for anything more sophisticated than air fresheners unfortunately. There's no excuse for your bike to vibrate on braking, irrespective of the speed you are doing. Sounds like blocks are not set correctly and if there are only slightly out, wear and tear would correct that over time but given you've purchased your new pride and joy from them I would suggest takingit back in a politely, but firmly making them fix it.

Best wishes
    grl
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    grl wrote:
    Halfords are not great for anything more sophisticated than air fresheners unfortunately. There's no excuse for your bike to vibrate on braking, irrespective of the speed you are doing. Sounds like blocks are not set correctly and if there are only slightly out, wear and tear would correct that over time but given you've purchased your new pride and joy from them I would suggest takingit back in a politely, but firmly making them fix it.

There are good Halfords out there, I don't think a sweeping statement like the one above is particularly constructive or helpful, so if you don't want to take it back to the original store try and find a good one. Go into Halfords during the day in the week and try speaking to the bike staff - you'll soon pick up whether they know they're stuff and seem ok.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Thanks for all the advice guys, it's booked in tomorrow for 'a good going over' the brakes and headset...we'll see what happens! :roll:
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    Waby1234 I am merely recounting my experience of the company after having bought a wide variety of good and services from them. I am sorry you think my comment is neither helpful not constructive but it is my opinion. :D
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    grl wrote:
    Waby1234 I am merely recounting my experience of the company after having bought a wide variety of good and services from them. I am sorry you think my comment is neither helpful not constructive but it is my opinion. :D

You usually here more about the bad stores, but I haven't had a problem with mine. There's good and bad stores just like anywhere! I did laugh though whenever I was reading a recent survey (can't remember who by) and noticed halfords were ranked last with 50% overall customer satisfaction :lol:
  • learnerDave
    learnerDave Posts: 24
    think you might have a point there, not to be nasty but would only go to halfords to get a stereo and boom box fitted to my bike and still pay over the odds
    falling off only helps