Route for London to Alton, Hampshire

amc
amc Posts: 315
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
On Saturday, i'm hoping to cycle from north London (Camden) to near Alton in Hampshire as a bit of a training ride to meet up with pals.
I can get to south west London, Richmond area for eg, from my existing knowledge but then i'm buggered.
I don't have a Garmin so will be relying on google map print out. I'll be going early Sat am on my own so don't mind main(ish) roads but obviously don't want killer duel carriadge ways etc.
Looking at a map i thought of maybe the A320 from Stains to Woking then the A324/3 to near Aldershot and then A31 to Alton (or A235 to Bordon and then back rds to Selbourne, which is my final destination).
Of course the roads look fine on paper but would appreciate any local knowledge to tell me what really like.
Thanks
amc

Comments

• amc
    Or go to Richmond Park, Hampton Court then A3050 to Walton and Weybridge???
    amc
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    amc wrote:
    On Saturday, i'm hoping to cycle from north London (Camden) to near Alton in Hampshire as a bit of a training ride to meet up with pals.
    I can get to south west London, Richmond area for eg, from my existing knowledge but then i'm buggered.
    I don't have a Garmin so will be relying on google map print out. I'll be going early Sat am on my own so don't mind main(ish) roads but obviously don't want killer duel carriadge ways etc.
    Looking at a map i thought of maybe the A320 from Stains to Woking then the A324/3 to near Aldershot and then A31 to Alton (or A235 to Bordon and then back rds to Selbourne, which is my final destination).
    Of course the roads look fine on paper but would appreciate any local knowledge to tell me what really like.
    Thanks

used to cycle down to see my girl in alton

stay out of the town centers

esher >>>west byfleet>>>old woking>>>> B360 to A324>>>> turn to Normandy>>>flexford westbourne lane cross A31 [AVOID] to putternham>>.suffield lane>>fulbrook lane >>elstead>>>thursley road>>>hale house road>>>churt>>>churt road>>

then follow your nose to borden or A325 numerous routes star hill etc its all good... roads are potholed a fair bit so 25s

now is most dangerous part a busy B road with fast traffic

b3004 to alton which IMO is iffy

or bypass via hardly mauditt accessed from b3002 oakhanger lane from borden
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amc
    Thanks - looking forward to it.
    amc
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    puttenham to borden on the small roads is shaded woodland nice on a hot day... safe journey
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm