OT: Coffee squits...

Mr Sworld
Mr Sworld Posts: 703
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone else experiance this?

When I wake up in the morning I can get a glass of OJ in me before gravity exerts it's force and I need to go to the bog.

However when I get to work I have a nice double espresso (courtesy of my aeropress and Hario grinder) made into an Americano. Lovely! :D

However within 15 mins it's time for the bog again... :oops:

Normal or not?

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It isn't normal as in everyone will suffer the same effects, but it certainly isn't something you should be unduly concerned about. You may have IBS or simply be sensitive to caffeine.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Assuming you ride to work;

Not to be too graphic/technical about it; but I am an 8am bathroom hog (usually after or during a cup of tea). Then after a good ride to work, I need another 'push' before having a shower at work - not every day, but it does depend on how much I ate the night before.....

I attribute the second 'push' to the movement of cycling, getting the stomach and bowels moving. 3 or 4 a day is not unheard of for me......

However, if you have 'the squits' as in a consistency problem, then you really should get that looked at.

:shock:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep, coffee's well knows as a laxative. When I lived in Japan, friends of mine used to go to Thailand for "detox" where you don't eat for 2 weeks, drink herbal remedies and give yourself coffee enemas to clear you out...

Cigarettes (nicotine) are also a laxative... If you're constipated have a coffee and a Marlboro and you'll be on the loo in no time....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_eff ... 2Fdiuretic
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You are not alone.
    Then again, I only have 2 espressos a week. I assume that this is the coffee in question, not some instant coffee-like substance.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,102
    Normal I'd say. Cracking cure for constipation but on a normal morning I need to make sure I've pushed one out after drinking coffee before I can leave the house...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wily-Quixote
    Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
    Hell, sometimes I just let 'er rip on the bike... I thought that's what chamois and leg grippers were for?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hell, sometimes I just let 'er rip on the bike... I thought that's what chamois and leg grippers were for?
    You don't get many drafting fairies I expect.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Hmph. I'm a long time vegetarian on a naturally high fibre diet.

Regular doesn't even enter into it. You could set a clock by my arse.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Interesting poll results. Coffee has no real effects on me, so I've sort of given up on it. For the "buzz", that is. I can drink several strong ones and go straight to sleep.

My brother was having issues with the squits, gave up coffee, and was as right as rain.

Perhaps the stuff is the instrument of satan.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have to go 3 times before leaving the house but then that's most likely because I'm awake at 5.30am
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    Im fine on one double espresso, anymore in a day and about 20mins later, its time to let the flood gates open.

Missis can't deal with one double espresso without shitting herself. :roll:
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    So, the straw poll seems to suggest that 50% of the population* has this problem. I'll relax for now then. :wink:

*Ok... A bit far fetched but I can't afford a MORI poll right now.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    No issues with squits. However it goes through me like a race horse. I guess it is a diuretic?

I love a decent coffee and wouldnt give it up! I do tend to get up too late at the moment however to fire up Silvia and make a decent one. I usually grind my own and take it to work with a press. However when I drink Instant it seems to go through me rather quickly
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    twist83 wrote:
    No issues with squits. However it goes through me like a race horse. I guess it is a diuretic?

I love a decent coffee and wouldnt give it up! I do tend to get up too late at the moment however to fire up Silvia and make a decent one. I usually grind my own and take it to work with a press. However when I drink Instant it seems to go through me rather quickly

According to the link I posted above, coffee does not act as a diuretic in moderation (up to 5-6 cups per day!) and can count towards your fluid intake for the day...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.