Saddle

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I know this has been done before and I did a little search and have come up with a few thoughts but I got my 1st bout of "numb nuts" on a 100 mile sportive yesterday... It was a bit of a shock! I know that saddles are very subjective but has anyone else experienced this and which seats have they ended up using? I don't want some great sofa stuck on my seatpost, from what I can see, something like a Specialized BG or a Fizik Arione seem good... Anyone got any thoughts?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Everyone will say their saddle is the best.
    I love my Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    This is what I have:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-10-39346

Seems to get a good review, allot of Pro's use the Selle Italia Turbomatic according to the Selle website. I find it comfy, even on my boneshaker of a commute, I was going to get one for the MTB too.

http://www.selleitalia.com/se_it3/prodo ... urbomatic/

However, bum comfort is very subjective......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Spesh Romin, big hole down the middle?

I used to get numb bits using a 'non-holed' saddle, and this has solved it. It's not super comfortable at first, but a few hours later it still feels the same.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited May 2012
    I've got an Arione and I love it. Have still suffered numb nuts on long rides before though.

I'm thinking about getting an Adamo Road saddle just to see what it's like.

xl__ism-road.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I relegated my Arione to the commuter as it gave me numbness on long rides. Been using a Spesh Toupe since 08, and bough another for the new bike. The 'hole in the middle' concept seems to work for me.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Try angling your current saddle down at the nose. Just a touch.
    Or moving it forward. Just a touch.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Yep. Because who sticks with a bad saddle right?
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I've got an Arione and I love it. Have still suffered numb nuts on long rides before though.

I'm thinking about getting an Adamo Road saddle just to see what it's like.
    I've got an Adamo Road which I put on the new TT bike. I haven't got the position quite right yet though- it was too low at the nose and I was sliding forwards all the time onto the prongs in a 50 just over a week ago. That was quite uncomfortable by the end. It does stop numb parts though.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i thought the groove in the middle of a saddle was to stop the numbness?

isnt there a bit nerve that runs under your under carriage an thats what gets irritated/ pressured causing the numbness?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Spesh Romin for me too - I find it incredibly comfortable.

Headhuunter....good to see you on here...not the same in the office without you.
  • EKE_38BPM
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Yep. Because who sticks with a bad saddle right?
    Bails?
    bails87 wrote:
    ...It's not super comfortable at first, but a few hours later it still feels the same.
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i thought the groove in the middle of a saddle was to stop the numbness?

isnt there a bit nerve that runs under your under carriage an thats what gets irritated/ pressured causing the numbness?

Yep. The cut out is known as a perineum cut out and is designed to take pressure off the perineal nerves.

Anatomical diagram of the, ahem, area in question.

• bails87
    :wink:
    What I meant by that is that you don't sit on it and think "ooo, this is so comfortable, I wish my sofa felt like this". You/I sit down and think "meh, it's a bit firm, but it's fine" and then three hours later I'm still thinking "meh, this is fine". Which is better than sitting on something squishy that feels comfortable, but after half an hour it's cut off the blood to the meat and two veg and is rubbing your backside raw.
    MTB/CX

• EKE_38BPM
    Only joshing.

I love my saddle, but I wouldn't get rid of my sofa to sit on it to watch a film. We're in agreement.

• bails87
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Only joshing.

I love my saddle, but I wouldn't get rid of my sofa to sit on it to watch a film. We're in agreement.

:) Don't worry, was just making myself clear.

Unfortunately saddles are very personal, so it's impossible to make a safe recommendation.
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Never found a saddle I'm happy with.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Selle-italia work well for me.

The Scott came with a C2 and that's been superb, never had any problems.

I put an SLR on the cervelo. I did wonder how I'd feel after long rides (it's 4mm narrower than the C2) but again all is good.

The fizik-clone I got with my planet-x is the least comfortable. Commute is fine but for long sportives I'm not so sure...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JonGinge wrote:
    The fizik-clone I got with my planet-x is the least comfortable. Commute is fine but for long sportives I'm not so sure...
    This one? http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAP ... eam_saddle

Its the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever used!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, that's the chap
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Having gone through three others I am happy with my new Romin, I seem to have massive sitbone width which leads to normal saddles splitting me like an axe :shock:
  • EKE_38BPM
    welkman wrote:
    Having gone through three others I am happy with my new Romin, I seem to have massive sitbone width which leads to normal saddles splitting me like an axe :shock:

Maybe your pelvis is getting ready for childbirth?

• sadlybiggins
    sadlybiggins Posts: 158
    I've currently got a Fizik Arione and it does give me numbness on longer rides. I'm probably going to try a Specialized Toupe next, although Fizik now produce an Arione Versus which has a perineal cut-out. Will see what else the LBS has to offer later this week.
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks all, I've gone for a Romin Expert... Currently I've got a Selle Italia Thoork which I could tweak a bit as mentioned. It hasn't caused any problems in the past but my rides are usually 50 miles at a go, sometimes up to 70 if I do a long club ride but I don't want that numbness again, I think I need something that I can ride for 5-6 hours if doing a century ride...
  • Headhuunter
    BigLights wrote:
    Spesh Romin for me too - I find it incredibly comfortable.

Headhuunter....good to see you on here...not the same in the office without you.

Hmmm... I think I can guess who this is! So you've finally ventured onto the forum... Welcome! How's it going back in the office?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,331
    I know this has been done before and I did a little search and have come up with a few thoughts but I got my 1st bout of "numb nuts" on a 100 mile sportive yesterday... It was a bit of a shock! I know that saddles are very subjective but has anyone else experienced this and which seats have they ended up using? I don't want some great sofa stuck on my seatpost, from what I can see, something like a Specialized BG or a Fizik Arione seem good... Anyone got any thoughts?

This thread may be of interest to you....

viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12715506
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I have the romin, too. Not got anything but stock saddles to compare is to though. Safe to say I'll be getting another when this one is through, however.
  • EKE_38BPM

This thread may be of interest to you....

viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12715506

I had a feeling that link would have been this. I chuckled, clicked the link and was then disappointed.

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    notsoblue wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Have ridden 10,000 miles on one of those and never been uncomfortable.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    JZed wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I have both the Fizik Arione and the Planet X Superlight. The PX was agony on rides over 2hrs, the Fizik slightly better up to 4hrs. I found a Charge Knife more comfortable than both. Just ordered a Selle Italia Flite Gel so will be interesting to see how it compares. Just proves that saddle fit is a very personal thing.
  • EKE_38BPM
    kelsen wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I have both the Fizik Arione and the Planet X Superlight. The PX was agony on rides over 2hrs, the Fizik slightly better up to 4hrs. I found a Charge Knife more comfortable than both. Just ordered a Selle Italia Flite Gel so will be interesting to see how it compares. Just proves that saddle fit is a very personal thing.

Good call on the Selle Italia. IMHO of course.

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Numb nuts? I lost sensation in my bell end the other day.

So also in the market for a new saddle.

How does one go about measuring ones posterior dimensions?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.