Ride with Cav

jzed
jzed Posts: 2,926
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Seems Cav is doing a ride around a park next week (leisurely laps of RP)

http://www.goskyride.com/News/ShowArticle/Ride-with-Mark-Cavendish?retURL=/News

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Good spot. Just registered, last time I had a place to do something like this I ended up being on holiday!

Just spotted it is the morning the Box Hill tickets go on sale, hopefully they'll be handing out a few!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Registered.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    leisurely, eh? So long as he doesn't use strava ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jzed
    JonGinge wrote:

Yeah I've heard leisurely before. Think it was you and CJCP saying we'd have a "leisurely" spin up Col da Sarenne. Spent most of it feeling like I was going to vomit.
  • Thanks! Registered. I think Cav's definition of leisurely is a little different to most... At Hog Hill it went off very fast - only 20 - 30 of the 100 starters were still in the bunch at the end of the first "neutralised" lap - know why he did it, but think it would be better to be honest up front. Although as I stayed in the bunch I was quite happy :)
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • I just registered - now there's that small issue of getting time off from work if I get a place... Thanks for the heads up.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I just registered - now there's that small issue of getting time off from work if I get a place... Thanks for the heads up.
    I suspect there may be a few "dental appointments" coming up :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    I just registered - now there's that small issue of getting time off from work if I get a place... Thanks for the heads up.
    Likewise... plus getting down there from home and still having fuel enough to keep up :) and then into work later :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JZed wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Yeah I've heard leisurely before. Think it was you and CJCP saying we'd have a "leisurely" spin up Col da Sarenne. Spent most of it feeling like I was going to vomit.

Neither Jon nor CJ understand the meaning of the word "leisurely"

Annoyingly I'm abroad on Tuesday.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Kind of tempted to enter, but worried about how it could be too. A bunch of people in Sky kit trying to ass kiss Cav? A few losers trying to out ride him? Lots of all-the-gear-no-idea? Someone please put my mind at rest and let me know it's actually a bit of a laugh.
  • daviesee wrote:
    I suspect there may be a few "dental appointments" coming up :wink:

Good thinking, Batman!

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    Kind of tempted to enter, but worried about how it could be too. A bunch of people in Sky kit trying to ass kiss Cav? A few losers trying to out ride him? Lots of all-the-gear-no-idea? Someone please put my mind at rest and let me know it's actually a bit of a laugh.

I agree, I imagine it would be like this but I'm cynical. Good luck to those who apply, and I hope you get in. Surely they have to keep it controlled as they dont want some Muppet taking him out. Not sure what they can do about people just turning up and tagging on (I know, it happens to me every sodding time in the park) because unlike the Hog Hill event, RP is just a road.

I met him a few years back and he signed a shirt for me. Oh and I love the irony of using the dentist as an excuse to see Cav.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    Oh and I love the irony of using the dentist as an excuse to see Cav.

Actual laugh out loud.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Of course, he'll be restricted to the 20mph speed limit... :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Like David Millar was when he last visited RP? :P
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ecord.html
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    Is this different to the usual sky ride thing in town? i.e. get a fluro vest and pootle along at 5mph with a celeb knocking about?

p.s. why can i not find that David Millar vid anywhere?! It's the internet - isn't everything meant to exist forever even though the Beeb deleted it?

p.p.s Ben Thomson in Southfields put his bike together for that, nice

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 326&type=1
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Just got an email confirmation - not sure I can make it...

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    bah i'm free but no email!
  • I'll email them and offer my place back - you need ID with ticket, so I can't give it away.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    rebs wrote:
    likewise :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    rebs wrote:
    Is it a closed road event with security?
    If not, and it is on open roads/paths, there is nothing to stop you joining in.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    daviesee wrote:
    rebs wrote:
    Is it a closed road event with security?
    If not, and it is on open roads/paths, there is nothing to stop you joining in.
    It would be quite easy to close the roads off in the park as they're shut at night anyway. Presumably it'll be done before the gates are opened in the morning. But the pedestrian gates are normally open (cull excepted) and bikes fit through them.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Starts at 9 am according to the registration.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Not necessarily Richmond Park, just says a famous London park. I didn't read it properly, think I got that from the David Millar comment.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Any truth in the rumour that his girlfriend will be offering those selected a quick motorboat of her jubblies?
  • jzed
    I'll email them and offer my place back - you need ID with ticket, so I can't give it away.

You have to go! I would have loved a place but my number didn't come up. Can you not get in a couple of hours late. You got a puncture and had left your tube at home, so had to walk home.....
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If any of you get to ride with Cav, walk past him running your fingers through your hair :wink:
  • justintga
    justintga Posts: 58
    Got a place! Anyone knows what to expect? 15mpg average? Richmond Park? Do you think we will be able to take photos with him?
  • JZed wrote:
    I'll email them and offer my place back - you need ID with ticket, so I can't give it away.

You have to go! I would have loved a place but my number didn't come up. Can you not get in a couple of hours late. You got a puncture and had left your tube at home, so had to walk home.....

Ha! I just emailed them... I'd have booked it off a few weeks ago if I'd have known... plus, my boss is very into tdf etc etc... imagine if she saw a picture of the sky ride and there I was! ha! Remote, but I'd only worry!

Ah well!

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS