Sports people & babies/Children.

2»

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    yes, I agree with Rick on this...next they will want to bring all the family and the dog to the podium. Keep babies off podiums!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Was it Lance who started it (in cycling)?

In sport in general I don't recall anyone doing it before Alex Higgins.

No issue with it. If you've just ridden 200k and turned yourself inside out to win a race and decide that you want to share the monent with your kids then you batter on.

Just remember to zip up your jersey.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Not sure if it's just a football thing, but the wearing of the trophy as a hat for 'ilarious comedy effect irritates me....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Not sure if it's just a football thing, but the wearing of the trophy as a hat for 'ilarious comedy effect irritates me....

Totally agree.

Unless you're Charlie George, in which case you can do what the **** you like.

00727-mainmedimage.jpg

Side note: Charlie George once told my son to get his hair cut. I had to explain the joke :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Was it Lance who started it (in cycling)?

Nope, Lemond at the TdF in '89.

11141%7C000002223%7C93b8_orh100000w575_21-12-Lemond-and-son.jpg
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    No kids on podiums please. No constant cutting to shots of the "other half" (as happened with Peta whatshername during one of the Giro sprint stages) during race coverage either please.

They compete and if they win, they go on the podium. If they've won and have their kids there I'm sure plenty of professional photographers will be in the vicinity taking shots to capture the moment. The way it is going, soon they'll be on the podium with the kids, the wife, the mistress, Grandma Agnes and woof the dog.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    squired wrote:
    No kids on podiums please. No constant cutting to shots of the "other half" (as happened with Peta whatshername during one of the Giro sprint stages) during race coverage either please.

Some Italian Sterotypes are just true I'm afraid....Ever watched Canale+? :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I disagree Rick. I think it's an awesome opportunity for the children to share in their Father's success. I'm all for it, and long may it continue.

There's a million and one other things that need sorting out in cycling, children on podiums is not one of them.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    But I understand that it is a lot less tiring getting up a mountain by means of holding on to the team car or being pushed by team mates and spectators than it is actually riding up them under your own steam! :wink:

I suppose it depends whether Peta did all the work and Cav drafted! ;)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I like it! I used to like seeing Erik Zabel take Rick-with-his-green-hair up every year just to see how tall he'd grown.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I see most of you hate it but I thought it was sweet when Rodriguez but his children on to the podium on Sunday and the elder one was holding the younger one's hand and being all responsible. :)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman