First club ride & 50+ miler

SR7492
SR7492 Posts: 190
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Went out with a local club for the first time yesterday and also managed to bag my first 50 miler, in fact the overall ride was 83 miles :D

Biggest ride I had done was 43 miles on my MTB last summer but since I've had my roadie, been easily doing 35 miles on a weekend with the biggest weekend tally being 53 miles over Sat/Sun.

This week I went out and did a 34 miler on Saturday and then went with a real friendly bunch for a 83 miler - I really enjoyed it and can't believe I've tallied 117 miles over the weekend.

I felt fine all the way and kept up to the riders all the way (average speed turned out to be 16 mph) - it was only when I was 5 miles from home that I could tell my legs were getting tired (maybe it's mental thing when your body realises your almost home). The last mile I got cramp on my left calf but still managed to get home with too much trouble.

My legs/body this morning do feel very tired and laboured, defo feels like I've done a marathon of a bike ride :shock:

As for the other riders - the experience was good, I didn't out of place as the guys were friendly and chatty. They gave me some good tips and I felt part of the group - will defo be going out with them again.

The only negative thing was that the day did pan out slightly longer than expected (8hrs overall) but this was due to a couple of puntures for one for the guys and use getting slightly lost :P

All in all - great day, well chuffed with the milage and looking forward to the next one.

Comments

• buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Congrats. I took part in my first group ride on Sunday but only for a 30 miler on behalf of BHF. I'd clocked up 30 the previous day and 15 on the Thursday, so feeling pretty good about myself. Did you enjoy the reduced effort of being tucked in and feeling of being a pro when you upped tempo and caught up the next group.

I was planning to divert onto the 50 mile course but the bunch I was with were doing 20mph on the flat and legs were struggling. Hoping to get a full on 50 mile in end of this week. Will get out with a local gang soon as riding with others is way more fun.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Well done on your first big ride, its rather gratifying ain't it.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    Thanks guys

As for slipstreaming/bunching up - that defo makes a massive difference. One minute your pedalling and then you have to lift off and coast as :)- great way to save energy and catch your breath.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    buzzwold wrote:
    Did you enjoy the reduced effort of being tucked in and feeling of being a pro when you upped tempo and caught up the next group.

This sounds amazing
  • SR7492 wrote:
    Went out with a local club for the first time yesterday

Sounds like a good day out.

What club is it?
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    buzzwold wrote:
    Did you enjoy the reduced effort of being tucked in and feeling of being a pro when you upped tempo and caught up the next group.

This sounds amazing

It was amazing. Albeit for the limited amount of time I was keeping up with the lead bunch.
    Someone's just passed me again