LBS, credit where credit is due

cjcooke
cjcooke Posts: 14
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Just thought I would share a great customer service experience from my LBS.

I purchased a 2011 Stuntjumper FSR Elite in June last year which I love to bits, I have a 10 mile loop which I do 5 times a week straight after work, I noticed in Feb of this year that the GXP BB was developing a noise on the drive side so took it apart to inspect and the bearing was starting to grumble. I took the bike back to my LBS (Hargroves Winchester) and asked if they could have a look and to see what they thought? Now I know that a BB is considered a consumable part but would have thought that it would last longer than 8 months????

The tech took the BB off to inspect and agreed that the bearing was rumbling but it isn't covered by the warranty, after taking to the manager and expressing my dissapointment that it hasn't lasted he agreed to fit a new BB (which i pay for now) and he would sent it off to the manufacture to see if they would warranty it. I was quite happy to pay for the new BB and in the hope the LBS would do there best for me in getting me a refund.

A couple of months have passed and I have been in contact with the LBS but they hadn't heard anything from the manufacture, on Friday last week the manager called to say that he has heard back from them and they will refund the cost of the BB (yeeha)

So a big thanks to the guys at Hargroves. It does pay to have a good realionship with your LBS when you have issues.
2011 Stuntjumper FSR Elite

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Best part of 2k miles in the winter months doesn't sound too bad to me. Especially as they are known to be a bit rubbish in the seals.

How much are they? £15 quid? You still had to pay and take the risk, they just got the money as the maker paid out, probably because they know they are rubbish.
  • cjcooke
    Yeah I agreed 2k miles isn't bad but thought I would try my luck as 8 mths in my estimation is great for a BB to last, the new one cost £25 and I wouldn't have bothered me if I didn't get my money back for it.

The reason for the thread was to highlight that your LBS isn't always there to rip you off and actually there to help.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I bought a specialized from hargroves a few years ago and found them to be very helpful. The freehub broke after a week and even though i live 350 miles from their shop a quick email was enough for them to say i could take it to any spesh dealer in the country to get it replaced for free. They didn't even want the broken part in the mail.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I regularly buy from them over the net and they are first class.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I always use my local Hargroves - nice guys, good mechanics and very helpful :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    cjcooke wrote:
    Yeah I agreed 2k miles isn't bad but thought I would try my luck as 8 mths in my estimation is great for a BB to last, the new one cost £25 and I wouldn't have bothered me if I didn't get my money back for it.

The reason for the thread was to highlight that your LBS isn't always there to rip you off and actually there to help.
    But is was Specialized who gave you the refund....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    miss notax wrote:
    I always use my local Hargroves - nice guys, good mechanics and very helpful :D
    They're the ones i bought my bike from 2 years ago. Good shop.
  • cjcooke
    bails87 wrote:
    cjcooke wrote:

But is was Specialized who gave you the refund....
    No the shop sent the BB back to the manufacture to get a credit for it, either way they got me a refund for it and made an already happy customer happier.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm teasing!

Fair play to the shop for asking for the refund on your behalf, especially on a 'wear and tear' item.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    A couple of months is a really long turn around on a SRAM item, the UK tech centre has a turn around of 3 days
  • cjcooke
    I thought it was a long time too but to be fair I didn't hassle them as I wasn't dependent on the LBS getting a result for me as my Stumpy had the new BB fitted so I wasn't without wheels.

Will have to get round to posting up some pics of my trusty steed so you can all tell me what you think of it, although if it's bad comments you can keep them to yourself :D