This is more like it......!

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Sunshine. Temperatures into double figures (possibly). Dry roads. No wind! Faster commutes.

The world was a much nicer place this morning - cracked 19mph to celebrate despite being held up on the Kessock Bridge by a deaf nodder.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Double-edged sword my freind.

The nice weather will encourage more nodders (such as me) out on the commute this week. I'm all set. :twisted:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sunshine. Temperatures into double figures (possibly). Dry roads. No wind! Faster commutes.

The world was a much nicer place this morning - cracked 19mph to celebrate despite being held up on the Kessock Bridge by a deaf nodder.

I like how being held up by a nodder is so rare for you it's worth mentioning. ;).
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

I like how being held up by a nodder is so rare for you it's worth mentioning. ;).
    Seeing another cyclist is rare for me. But not as rare as no wind: looks like we're now getting into the sea/land breeze pattern that sees me commuting into the wind both ways most days.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Riding in tomorrow for the first time in a don't know how long. Can't wait :)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I was aching to get on the bike this morning - and then whilst getting ready got a call on the mobile asking me to be in Abingdon this afternoon. Off comes the lycra, on goes the suit......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Was lovely riding in this morning with decent temperatures, sun and barely any Wind.

However it is now over cast :( Looking forward to a blast this evening.
  • meanredspider
    Ah yes - hardly see another bike (certainly not going in my direction) - nodders on the Kessock Bridge though are a pain - good speed to be had and they never let me past (thinking it's too narrow). They appear from North Kessock and my heart sinks - usually on a day (almost by definition) when I'm on for a really good average speed. Still, I should be happy they're on their bikes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Daughter's school sports day this morning. Standing around in a field waiting for it to be her turn was bloody freezing. Now I'm on to spend the rest of my day off doing a spot of DIY. Well, after I've had a cup of tea.
  • peat
    SimonAH wrote:
    I was aching to get on the bike this morning - and then whilst getting ready got a call on the mobile asking me to be in Abingdon this afternoon. Off comes the lycra, on goes the suit......

Abingdon is my commute desitination as it happens.
  • prawny
    Couldn't wait. had to go for a meeting with The Boys teachers at lunch time. Next train was a 40 minute wait so rode in, in glorious sunshine. First ride in shorts and short sleeves since godknowswhen. Sitting at my desk now rubbing crustes sweat off my face, happy days!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    tis getting warm out there indeed. now it becomes how to dry the kit before putting it back on again but not because of the rain :(
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Decisions, decisions.... beautiful out there and a northerly wind (tailwind for me)

Do I:
    Cruise and enjoy the scenery
    Go for another PB given the conditions are favourable
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Typical. Nicest week in ages to be on the bike and I'm on a training course on the wrong side of London without anywhere to change or lock up the bike securely. PT for me tomorrow :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    I cruised and was still 5 mins quicker than my Tricross commute time!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • meanredspider
    I think I did top 3 times on all my Strava segments today - was on a real roll!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    What grey cold and windy? then yes oh wait I leave home when most of you are still asleep :evil:

So what if it's warm and sunny all week, i'll be stuck inside until it getting dark and cold or slightly warm but rapidly cooling down as if to say "look at what you could have had" :evil:

and then there's the going to work dress for the cold mornings with the usual rucksack fully of lead weights only to return home with said rucksack plus the 8 layers of clothing I wore in the morning.

:evil:

I'm going to bed :x
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:
    What grey cold and windy? then yes oh wait I leave home when most of you are still asleep :evil:

So what if it's warm and sunny all week, i'll be stuck inside until it getting dark and cold or slightly warm but rapidly cooling down as if to say "look at what you could have had" :evil:

and then there's the going to work dress for the cold mornings with the usual rucksack fully of lead weights only to return home with said rucksack plus the 8 layers of clothing I wore in the morning.

:evil:

I'm going to bed :x

I would care... I really would, but

49790b.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My knees have not yet appeared this year. Today may be the day. About bloody time!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bompington
    The sun is coming up above the haar (east coast sea fog), the temperature is a positively tropical 8º, not even a headwind. For so much of the year it's a bit grim until you actually get going and get warmed up, it's just so good to be looking forward to it for once!
    Last night was the first commute in shorts & jersey (& summer gloves even) since.... oh yeah, March!
  • peat
    BE-A-UTIFUAL ride in this morning. Glorious sunshine, slight breeze, head down, PB.

Classic Queen!
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,586
    Ah yes - hardly see another bike (certainly not going in my direction) - nodders on the Kessock Bridge though are a pain - good speed to be had and they never let me past (thinking it's too narrow). They appear from North Kessock and my heart sinks - usually on a day (almost by definition) when I'm on for a really good average speed. Still, I should be happy they're on their bikes.

Why don't you just use the main carriageway?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It was great this morning, not yet seen the sun and it was a bit cool setting off, but there was a tailwind in and broke 50 minutes for the commute. :lol::lol: W

It will be a nice pootle home for me in the sun.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • prawny
    I've got ridiculous tan lines from riding in at lunch time yesterday already. Oh dear.

I've not bothered today, I cained it yesterday and I'm knackered.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bompington
    Well it didn't disappoint. Legs still felt heavy from last night, and it was a bit chilly at first, but once I was properly warmed up it was pure joy. I think the best bit is the feeling of freedom and, dare I say it, lightness that you get from not being togged up in all the bad weather gear.

and I even got three scalps - OK, two were nodders and one a tractor, but it's rare for me to pass anyone at all (and before you say anything, there are so few cyclists round here that I've never yet been overtaken)
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Bollocks - why do I have a cold now of all weeks? Absolutely beautiful out there...

Time to MTFU...
    FCN 3 / 4